Stories of a Moron

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Plan your dive and dive your plan

Judy Shepherd taught me that one. You make a plan, then you follow it through. Judy was my SCUBA instructor years and years ago. In SCUBA diving there are a lot of things you need to plan for. Current speeds, visibility, air usage, and blood nitrogen levels. That air usage one is pretty important. It works great for diving, but not necessarily for life.

The problem is that the biggest things in life, those moments that shape us most in life, the memories we will hold forever, aren't the things we planned, but the unplanned. Nobody looks back on there life and planned their hardest and greatest memories. Which by the way, sometimes the hardest things we ever have to do are the greatest.

I've been holding on to some plans in life recently. I tried to hold on to them after they didn't work out so well. I have a problem/gift, I don't do anything at half speed. It's either all, or nothing. But when plans don't work out it leaves me flat on my face. It left me pretty bitter about stuff. But I realized something during the process.

I'll use a good scene from Gladiator to make my point.



I like the first part of the scene where Russell Crowe says, "Whatever comes out of these gates, we've got a better chance of survival if we work together." I think this is true about life and God.

What I realized is that I want to be so close to God, that it doesn't matter what comes out of the gates. That it doesn't matter what the future holds. I want to know that no matter what happens if I stick with God, I've got a certain chance of winning. And furthermore, I want God to stack the odds against me. I want an impossible fight, so that when he comes out victorious it will be that much more amazing.

Right now I don't feel like I've got much to work with and I don't know what the future holds. Sometimes I don't feel like I have the right tools to accomplish the task. Shamgar had a pointy stick, a little Jewish boy had lunch, David had three rocks, Moses had a speech impediment. The same God who moved through a plowman to kill 600 Philistines with an oxgoad and deliver his people, turned a snack into a meal for 5000, turned a shepherd into a king, and a murdering babbler into leader of his people is the same God who can work through me. He likes a challenge, and so do I.

Ephesians 6:15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace.

Whatever comes out of those gates, I'll stick with God.

Paul "I'm tackling the next bear I see" Murphy

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home