Stories of a Moron

Monday, December 08, 2008

It's Bad, but it Could Be Worse

Sometimes things have a way of stacking up to get you down. It's been a rough week. Frankly its been a rough year. I suspect by the end of the year I will have made something like $12K. Which if great if this were 1972. I still can't find a decent job and working at Dick's is slowly getting worse.

I went to the Greenville Co School District mid-term teacher recruitment event. It sounded promising. 12 openings (mostly for math and speech path) 137 potential teachers. One social science opening. It was in a magnet school no less. I knew the opening was there and to prepare for it I signed up for my Praxis tests so I can start my PACE application. $210 of Praxis tests. That's over half a weeks work. Uggf.

At work we've been understaffed since the day we opened the doors. We've just been doing more business then projected. About 25% more. They kept telling us the more business we did the more hours we'd get.

Today I was starting to really get down about the whole situation. In fact I was toying with the idea of moving somewhere that maybe had a better job situation. I guess in some way working at Dick's translates in my brain to my worth being $10/hour. I think I'm worth more than that, but if somebody else thought so too, then maybe I'd have a job that didn't involve picking silica packets off the floor constantly.

I got to work today and the schedules had all been taken down with a sign "Schedule changes. If you have any questions call Adam." That's generally bad. Sure enough they cut hours at work b/c of the crappy economy, even though our store is doing fine. I looked at the new schedule and they hadn't changed my hours at all. I'll still be cranking in about 40/ week.

Things are bad, but they could be a lot worse.

Paul "Dr. Burks doesn't usually send me emails" Murphy

http://www.harding.edu/Advancement/video.html

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home