Stories of a Moron

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Some good advice

I had an old friend post a picture of me on facebook from middle school. It reminded me of how uncool I managed to be in middle school. See if you can spot the uncool Paul Murphy in the picture


Alright.

Bottom Row. Second from the left. Wearing "Jorts." Uggfff.

I think its perfectly acceptable to be uncool. But some stuff didn't make any sense.

Middle school Paul on dating- Back in the day I thought the key to getting ladies was what I had to offer. I went down a check list of things. If I didn't have it I got it- for the ladies. Since of humor- check. Intelligent- Double Check. Good Cook- yup. That's right I thought being a good cook would be attractive to the ladies. I also thought that if I was good with children that'd be attractive to high school girls. I went around life trying to accumulate skills I thought would be attractive to the opposite sex. It never seemed to work though. Maybe I should have been trying to pick up middle aged divorcees.

Then it all changed around my junior year of college. I was sitting in my Gospel of John class listening to Shawn Daggett. Good class. I love sitting by Justin Bland in any class but Mr. Daggett always had a good spin on things. We were talking about the possibility of Jesus being married or having any relationship with Mary M. One of the girls in the class raised her hand and asked if Mr. Daggett thought that women would have been attracted to Jesus. His reply was brilliant.

"Of course I think that they were attracted to Jesus; he's what all men should be."

It was at that point that I realized all my cruddy skills didn't matter. In fact they may have been a waste of time. Maybe the most attractive thing I could do was to be as much like Jesus as possible.

Paul "So then I grew my hair out and look what happened" Murphy

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home