Stories of a Moron

Monday, December 10, 2007

I'm insane with anger (ok just disappointed)

It's busy so maybe I'm just intolerant right now. But here we go.

I was browsing through the Christian Chronicle when I found this little gem of an article. Maybe I shouldn't read the Chronicle any more.

Dr. Wilson has some interesting stuff to say about singing in church.


1. Examine the texts of the music we’re using. This is a highly emotional area where differences of opinion will occur, but if everyone agrees that a particular hymn text is poorly written or has nothing significant to say, why should we use that text in our worship? This may also force us to look at texts that have only one thing to say, over and over again, and decide if there is a better text to use.

2. Get a music professional involved in looking at the music we sing. We expect our preachers and ministers to have a college degree; our musicians should have a similar background. At the least, find a musician in the community who’s willing to evaluate the hymn arrangements and separate the wheat from the chaff. We all appreciate those who have good hearts and the willingness to lead, but some training is absolutely required.

3. Look for good music that is well written. Don’t assume that if it’s in the hymnbook, it must be good. Publishers are primarily in the business of selling. When a new piece of music becomes popular, a publisher’s job is to get hymn arrangements available as soon as possible. This doesn’t always lead to great arrangements. Look for the good ones. Avoid the bad ones.

The bottom line is that we shouldn’t be satisfied with presenting music to God that is less than the best we have to offer.

Congregational singing doesn’t have to be a concert, but it should be the best we can make it. We must teach our members the difference between music appropriate for private enjoyment and music suitable for public worship.

We must learn the difference between individual pleasure or having fun, and the corporate effort of worshiping God. New music should be included with older, more traditional hymns, but only music that is worthwhile and well written.

GARY P. WILSON is director of choral activities and associate professor of music at Lipscomb University in Nashville, Tenn. A member of the Smith Springs church in Antioch, Tenn., he earned his doctorate in musical arts from the University of Nebraska.

Dec. 1, 2007

Okeydokey.

Examine the text of a song. Agreed. Especially in Samoa. Some of our members speak as much english as I speak spanish. Beulah land is out forever. All people that on Earth do dwell, Be not dismayed wher'er be tide, Come ye disconsolate, Here we are but straying pilgrims (oka! funny hats?), Kum by yah (#986), and almost anything else written before 1875 are all out. In fact I don't understand the words I'm tearing it out.

Songs that say the same thing over and over. Every song with a chorus is out. Ok maybe not. But what's wrong with a nice repetitive song? Don't the angels sing Holy holy holy is the Lord for like 10,000 years? Well I think I'll keep "How Great is our God." I don't give a load of poop if the song is repetitive; does it have meaning? That being said don't sing it EVERY time we meet.

A good music professional involved. Ok. I definitely think someone needs to be involved with the songs. Especially someone who can find solid songs, especially those not in the book. The problem with a good music professional is they like a professional sounding service. I've driven by a lot of Samoan churches that don't sound good musically, but the people are praising God with their hearts. So it sounds a whole heckuvalot better than we do with our four part harmony where everybody sings under their breath.

Look for music that is well written. Umm alrighty. Does it sound good? Well let me tell you if its complicated it won't. If is arranged for a chorus, chances are it sounds like crap at the Tafuna coC. (Lynn if you read the blog please stop singing "Beautiful" its not good. People don't sing not because they don't know they words, they just think it sounds horrible)

Find good arrangements. That gets an old-school Alvin "BEEEEBOOOOP!" Just sing the freaking song like you heard it on the radio. I'm sick of this music notation and people trying to complicate a good song. Just sing it from your heart, not the page.

Difference between music for individual pleasure and the corporate worship. I think I just threw up a little in my mouth. I'm so angered by this statement I can't combat it. Here's what I heard, "don't sing songs that you hear on the radio that you like. God doesn't like that stuff. Its not coC." I dunno.

I guess I think that if you have a congregation that really enjoys singing four-part choral arrangements then that's what you should sing. We like singing at Tafuna, but not that. The same goes for camp. I don't think the 8-14 group sings in four part very well at Super Week. We shouldn't expect them to. Cut the quartet up front- sing the song- one or two parts. If people want to sing others- ok, but don't expect them to.

Paul "

8 Comments:

  • is this why i go to a community church? yikes, i hope he doesn't strike me for singing in the worship band, not team. oh well. i posted something for you. :) i'll have to go back and read from your last week. it seems i've been living in my cave the past week.

    By Blogger Paulo J, at 12/10/2007 11:43 PM  

  • Are you smoking crack?

    BTW, since Lynn is gone, I'm specifically making sure we sing 'Beautiful' before and after the Lord's Supper... and I might throw in an extra 'Blessed Be Your Name' for Sunday night as a token of appreciation.

    In defense of Gary P. Wilson, many secular Christian rock songs are VERY repetitive and don't use many chords. (I can defend his article, but I can't defend the use of his middle initial or tux pic.)

    Thus, when you re-write the song for 4-part harmony, it's musically boring. Case in point... MercyMe's 'I can only imagine.' Great song. Boring chords. Throw some distortion, drums, and guitar solo or two, and you have yourself a hit song. Take those ingredients out, and you've got a boring, repetitive, put you to sleep, murder a perfectly good hit, CoC song.

    What happens when we sing it just like it's on the radio... well, for one, it sucks. What are you supposed to do during the guitar solo? Dance? What about music that's written out of the range for most people?

    Besides, as you were throwing up, you missed his entire point (which was mysteriously omitted in your post)... that point being, good 4-part harmony requires more than copy and pasting chords onto a sheet. I'd break out the keyboard and show you, but our keyboard won't play more than one note at a time. Furthermore, the entire article is in regards to HOW to use secular music in worship. It's not a case for NOT using secular music in worship.

    Truth is, I don't like singing secular songs on Sunday mornings. The old fogies screw it up.

    I think I just hi-jacked your blog. It must be the Kiwi influence.

    By Blogger Philip, at 12/11/2007 12:53 PM  

  • And the sentiments in that article do not reign at Victory Road.

    You should come visit. You have to see how things are here. It is somewhat like Tafuna if Tafuna had its own building.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/11/2007 3:39 PM  

  • Hey, came across your blog because of the reference to the Christian Chronicle. I hope you will keep reading. That's one of the great things about a newspaper -- you don't have to agree with every word written in it. And there's always the option of sending a letter to the editor to voice your own opinion.

    Thanks,

    Bobby Ross

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/12/2007 4:47 AM  

  • Wow. I agree with Philip - I think you missed the point of his article. I'm also pretty sure that the AmSam congregations you have in mind were not his target audience. You need to relax a little on this topic. Or a lot.

    This article reflects one guy's opinion. I agree with SOME of what he said, but certainly not all. Likewise I agree with SOME of what you say, certainly not all - and I'm sure that goes both ways. But you are still my brother and I am still yours.

    I'm sure you are not surprised, but I totally disagree with you about camp singing. Either that, or you need to go find a LOT of songs that work with just "one or two parts." Are you saying we should all just sing the melody and call it done? Dude, that would suck.

    I'm personally THRILLED that the AmSam churches love to sing and that you perceive them as worshiping whole-heartedly when they do. I also believe (strongly) that trying to recreate an American church experience in AmSam is a fool's errand, and harmful in the worst way. The worship in that culture must be effective in that culture. If something works there, great. If something does not work there, then let it go NOW. The AmSam natives (not sure what to call them) need to own their worship service/experience. It needs to be the AmSam worship, not the American worship in AmSam. I hope you can play a part in making that happen.

    By Blogger MichaelPolutta, at 12/12/2007 10:32 AM  

  • I love it when you stir up the rat's nest. I especially love it when you step on people's toes. Just be careful... they may be connected to the... well you know.

    This could have been an excellent article but Gary settled for so-so.

    Generally, ripping a song off the radio is bad. Those sound terrible because all the variation is in the instruments.

    Repetition is good... ... and bad.
    It's good when you don't have the words/music in front of you(fireside devo + singing in the car). It's terribly annoying when you do have the words in hand(church).

    "We must teach our members the difference between music appropriate for private enjoyment and music suitable for public worship. --I don't think I agree at all here. We just should never strip and mutilate the music we "privately enjoy" in order to make it acceptable for the a cappella only crowd.

    "New music should be included with older, more traditional hymns, but only music that is worthwhile and well written." --While the focus here is clearly on filtering what new stuff we add to the official repertoire, I think we could use a little house cleaning on some of the old stuff with poorly written (repetitive notes) 4 part harmony.

    "Don’t assume that if it’s in the hymnbook, it must be good." He almost made a first class point here because that's true. There's a lot of horrible music in there. Unfortunately, I think his article was aimed more towards the junk in the 90s and he leaves out the fact that we should expunge some junk from the 40s thru 60s.

    By Blogger Josh M, at 12/12/2007 9:28 PM  

  • For what it's worth, I find the Superweek singing to be the best I get all year. And I agree with you that heart matters most of all in a song service. All that said, however, we should offer up the very best we have in worship: first-fruits, as it were. To the extent that we can do any part of our worship better (and to the glory of God), we should. Looks like this author and I would strongly disagree about how to improve our congregational singing, though.

    By Blogger Coach Sal, at 12/14/2007 9:17 AM  

  • LOL. OK. I dare you to insult George Bush and see if he responds to your next blog.

    Maybe you should just stick to insulting CoC musicians... it tends to get some interesting feedback.

    By Blogger Philip, at 12/15/2007 4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home