Stories of a Moron

Sunday, November 11, 2007

My first choice...

Jack Bower. But he's unavailable, and highly overqualified. Well Philip and Jaime left town for a few days. They've left me in charge of the house, and their three wonderful children. It's day three now and only two more to go. Philip had arranged for someone in his office to keep them friday and saturday but apparently those plans fell through. Which is fine.

What's not fine. I must say I hate it when people give me that, "oh they trust YOU with their kids!" look. When Jaime left for Samoa Philip and I both sort of got these funny looks and comments from people. As if they were secretly thinking we were highly under qualified to take care of children; being that we have testicles and all. A great travesty. During the 60's and 70's we as a society decided that women could enter the work place and didn't have to stay home and make babies. What about the social acceptance of the stay-at-home dad? Not my goal at all.

I've been getting those looks again. It's like I need to pull out a child care experience resume.

J. Paul Murphy
Home: 684-699-5185

Work Experience:
Took care foster kids for Mom and Dad.
Summer 1995- Summer 2004.
Duties included: changing diapers, mixing formula, feeding and burping babies (not family guy style), putting in movies, putting children to bed, preparing take-out dinners, cleaning up spit-up puke and poop on the walls. Won award for exceptionalness for taking care of infant twins, a two year old, and a 5 year old at the same time.

Day care worker, lifeguard at the ghetto pool.
Summer of 2004 and 2005
Duties included: once again cleaning up dooty, watching 30 kids in a swimming pool environment, resolving stupid disputes about who splashed who, disciplining perps, cleaning up vomit.

Teacher 5th/6th grade.
Fall 2006- Spring 2007
More of the same.

Ok I'm no expert, but please don't patronize me. I'm sure Philip and Jaime would have chosen Jack Bower over me or someone else. At the same time if you see me with three kids in the next few days, don't give me a weird look or condescending remark.

Paul "I'm never having kids... ever" Murphy

As a side note. Projectile vomiting is really something quite amazing. We had this foster child who projectile vomited when he burped after eating. It wasn't one of those small "oh it got on my pants" things either. This kid with an afro would spew milk 2ft. It was ridiculous.

4 Comments:

  • Jack Bauer rather than Jack Bower. Check the subtitles on the DVDs I left behind. It should show up that way.

    As to watching kids...I think I would probably get stranger looks than you or Philip would.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/11/2007 10:02 PM  

  • I just cant beleive they trust YOU with their kids.
    Daniel burns

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/12/2007 12:41 PM  

  • I somehow see your week of babysitting like an episode of Super Nanny.

    By Blogger Jeremiah Stoneburner, at 11/13/2007 9:18 AM  

  • You should have put blue Jello on Ally's face for Philip and Jaime's return. She could have gone into convulsions when they came through the door...

    By Blogger Josh M, at 11/20/2007 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home