Stories of a Moron

Friday, October 19, 2007

The Way of the Future

I'd like to take a moment and get a reoccurring theme off my chest. Coal power sucks. Yes that's right. Using coal for anything sucks. Let me take that back. Using charcoal for grilling stuff is ok, but natural gas is better. But still Coal is bad. Here is something really bad: burning coal to heat a water tank to create power. You'redumb. Especially when there's a cheaper way of doing it.

Now there's been lots of talk recently about wind and solar power. Unfortunately there are too many places that don't have enough sunlight or wind year-round to make it efficient. Those are probably the best ways of getting electricity. But here's a thought; how does the sun make power? I really wish we could harness the sun's magnanimous ability to make energy. (I just used that word incorrectly) I wish there was some way to split an atom apart and harness the energy, that energy that is multiplied by the speed of light squared. But there's not...

Oh wait... Oh wait... yes... yes... I think there might be. Maybe that's what this "Nuclear Power Plant" thingy is. When are we going to wake up and smell the 50 year old coffee. Obviously if Albert Gore wins a Nobel prize for saying CO2 is heatin' everything up then maybe we should... I don't know... reduce CO2 emissions. Oh Oh I have a suggestion. Lets harness this old technology that we've been developing for the past 60 years and use it to make electricity. Nuclear Power is the way of the future. Even Iran gets it.

I read this great article today here about Kansas rejecting a coal power plant. Yeah for Kansas. Lets look at the advantages of Nuclear power.
1. Drastically less CO2 output
2. Cheapest form of major electric production at 1.72 cents per kilowatt
Wait, wait, wait. I just saved money and the environment. What else be said?

Cons
1. Nuclear waste
2. Nuclear reactors are constantly exploding all over the world. Just look at Russia

Oh wait... it only happened once in the horribly regulated Soviet Union.

As for the waste I agree its a problem. On the other hand Dad already found a place for it in Nevada. So it'll be neighbors with Stephen.

Also I heard somewhere that New Zealand passed a resolution banning nuclear power in their country. Good for them. I don't want NZ's having nuclear power anyways. They're idiots. And I think they've watched one too many Simpson's episodes. What good does it do if you ban something you don't have access to anyways??? I digress.

Ok that's my rant for today. Go Nuclear Power. Safe. Clean. and Murphycheap.

Paul "I love cooling towers" Murphy

7 Comments:

  • At first when reading this I thought man, Paulus is a moron, we have already figured out...oh I see he's being a smart a. Yeah man, I'm almost positive that is how we get our electricity from a nuclear power plant where I am from. Where Jimmy lives in Somerset they use windmills that power Penn State. I think that alternative sources are being used. I think it will take time and maybe will Al Gore's Nobel Prize winning help we'll get there. Like it or not, we now can see what kind of effect we are having on our planet. It does need to be a global effort. Kansas should use wind power, nothing out there but wind, same goes for Oklahoma.

    By Blogger Jeremiah Stoneburner, at 10/19/2007 5:36 PM  

  • Ought to be interesting to see how the Voice of 'Reason' chimes in. I think you purposefully kicked the hornets nest.

    Oh, and don't forget, the Kiwis can always look for support from the intelligent Polocks.

    By Blogger Philip, at 10/19/2007 8:18 PM  

  • And "the Senator from Searchlight" who has been thoroughly ticking off his voters so much that he has an approval rating in the state that is rather quite low has not only been railing against both coal power (we are looking locally at two plants to be built) but also nuclear power. Essentially the Senator from Searchlight is looking for no growth at all which, regrettably, the Las Vegas Valley requires to even maintain status quo for operations. While a great idea it would be fairly fatal to the state's economy.

    Two more years and the Senate Majority Leader is likely to face a tremendous battle just to keep his seat. While he has been leading the Democrats in the Senate in the national interests of his party he has thoroughly been ticking his own constituents. It is no sure bet that the Senator's leadership will be able to continue in just a show time from now.

    Yucca's going nowhere as it is stuck in wrangling...still...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/19/2007 8:43 PM  

  • I think I wanna poke at you.

    Nuclear power plants use the heat from fission to produce electricity. FUSION powers the sun.

    Do you want to advocate nuclear power plants that don't exist?

    Oh, and the difference between the Russian plant that melted and plants in the US is better a question of design than regulation.

    And should we endorse the construction of more nuclear power plants when we still haven't agreed on a good plan for dealing with waste. Why bury what we could still use?

    By Blogger Josh M, at 10/19/2007 9:12 PM  

  • Man I love Americans...actually even today I find it hard to fathom how the worlds least intelligent populus managed to accumulate between Canada and Mexico??
    Firstly a history lesson. It is funny that you do not want NZ to have nuclear capability...when after all NZ invented it. A good old kiwi farm boy was the first person to split the atom. You may want to look this up in a history book. Next the Americans will not want NZ to have planes...when we were also the first nation to successfully fly a plane - another bit of history which seems to miss most Uncle Samites.
    Secondly if people simply stuck with a good idea then we would still be living in caves and wearing the backsides of buffalos to prevent mr winkle from catching a cold....and fire would be the foremost invention of our time. We need to investigate ways to produce power and create as little waste, and especially not dangerous waste, as possible. I think there is a long way to go in the area of renewable energy sources and once again NZ is on the forefront of this area of study. Good on you Americans though, sticking with the tried and true...I suppose it is that kind of thinking which has resulted in Americas four greatest inventions being hamburgers, twinkies, pole dancing and Pamela Anderson.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/20/2007 5:26 PM  

  • Your post makes me think of the famous soung by TMBG.

    It's ok tho, I still love you even if you get fusion and fission confused.

    By Blogger DK, at 10/21/2007 8:16 PM  

  • "I really wish we could harness the sun's magnanimous ability to make energy. (I just used that word incorrectly)"

    Hey…that's just what I was thinking as I read that…

    By Blogger Luke Dockery, at 10/22/2007 10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home