Stories of a Moron

Monday, October 08, 2007

Sorry CD players

To most people the invention of the CD and the subsequent cd player was a glorious revolution of music-dom. A giant leap from the 8-track, cassette and laser disk. Note to all old people: I don't want to hear your 8-track, laser disc, or any comment about vinyl. P.S. They still make vinyl records. And quit complaining about it and just order the USB record player from a Sharper Image catalog. Then you can turn all of your James Taylor stuff into MP3. Yeah. Back to the post.

In our house the cd player was not met with great cheers and applaud. I remember hating cd's. See after we got our cd players Mom and Dad purchased the Hallal music series. Mom would cheerfully sing along with the cd's while we did saturday chores. I hated it. Not that my mother can't sing I just hated the songs. It really added insult to injury. There's not much more that's worse than cleaning out the chicken coup then hearing "WeEEE Are children of the..." It hurts to type it.

So to this day I HATE the Hallal series. I can't stand their songs. And as a derivation of the Hallal music comes Ken Young. If you're not familiar with Ken Young he "wrote" many of the songs in our wonderful Faith and Praise song book. Ken really didn't write many of them he just takes decent songs and switches them around a little bit and makes money off of them. He is often referred to as the "arranger." So basically this guy takes good songs and butchers them into Hallalish drudgery and dismay. Oh I think he works for Hallal. It's awful.

So what does my mother singing along with Hallal cds and my dislike of Ken Young have to do with anything? There songs haunt me. They don't haunt me in the sense that they get stuck in my head, or I dream about them its really much worse. Many of the older people at our sunday night devotional LOVE Ken Young songs and the Hallal style. In fact our devotional song book has at least 20 Ken Young songs in it. Yuk! But they're probably there illegally so Ken if you read this please sue my church for the rights of your songs back. Some nights I think if I have to sing one more Ken Young song I'm going to walk out.

Maybe I just suck at praise

Paul "being tortured slowly" Murphy

4 Comments:

  • Thanks for the kind comments. I hope you and your congregation can continue to glorify God through the use of my work. Please let me know if I can be of any help.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/08/2007 1:13 PM  

  • Hey, next time you are home - your mom and I can stand on either side of you and sing Ken Young praise songs all day! It'll be great! You do know that the angel use the same hymnal in heaven don't you?

    By Blogger renee, at 10/08/2007 4:58 PM  

  • It must be an age thing

    By Blogger Paul Murphy, at 10/08/2007 10:08 PM  

  • Whoa, did you seriously get caught trashing someone again. It's like the ME incident all over again :).

    By Blogger MSS, at 10/10/2007 4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home