Stories of a Moron

Saturday, November 03, 2007

More letters less enthusiasm.

B1. People use to ask me in college if Josh and I were close as brothers. At first I didn't really know how to answer the question. Usually I would respond with an "I guess so." Josh and I have had some rough times. There were definitely times when he felt distant if not just angry. I can't blame him too much in retrospect. He was working 20 hours a week dealing with angry old women as a grocery bagger, taking and dominating honors classes, and there was something else going on that was really stressing him out, but I can't reca11 exactly what it was. So I was confused about the question being asked of me.

The answer is yes Josh, Philip and I are "close." Anybody who lets you live in their house/sailboat has to be fairly close right? I would also like to point out that I was the only person Josh and Amber invited to come visit them after they got married.

The love you have for a brother is something... different. It's hard to explain. Its different from being good friends with somebody. How so? Lets say I was in jail in Poland. Now neither Josh or Philip really wants to go to Poland, but if I needed someone to bail me out I'm pretty sure one of them would show up and visa versa. That's just the tip of the brotherly love iceberg. It's like having a friend that will always be there, wherever, whenever, whatever the circumstances are.

What's the emotion that is opposite of brotherly love? Hmmm good question. Early this year when had his spill in the ocean with Jason I came back from calling for help and they both were gone. After searching the waves for about 30 minutes I began to loose hope that they were still afloat. After 45 minutes the boat showed up in the bay. Unfortunately the boat went in the bay and the boat left the bay. No phone call. At that point I hadn't seen either of them for almost an hour. The last time I saw Jason he was bleeding profusely and completely incoherent. I began to be fairly sure that they had both drowned. That was when the feeling opposite of Brotherly love began to set in. I had already begun making plans in my mind to move back in with the folks and get a job at a retail store. I'm just glad the officer with me got a phone call in the next few minutes.

Some friends can also fall into this category. But they have to be that really really great friend that lets you live in their house and you babysit for.

Some people aren't luck enough to have a good brother or even a brother. I'm luck enough to have three. Although Austin isn't very old yet I'm sure he'll be a solid recruit to the Murphy family.

Paul "brother for a brother" Murphy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home