Stories of a Moron

Friday, November 30, 2007

Thpwwpwpw.

I hate it when people are like. Nothing to blog about. Sure there is.

Now if I could only figure out what...

Here's something I've been thinking about recently: how should a poor person live. Now personally I'm one family member away from the poverty line. That being said I'm definitely above the poverty line for the US. Also I think there is some misconception that things are cheaper here on island. That its like going to mexico to buy Reeboks. Let me assure you the only things cheaper on an island in the middle of the S. Pacific is taro, bananas, coconuts, and trips to the ocean. Everything has to get shipped in on a boat. If I sound like I'm complaining, i don't mean to, I love going to the beach.

Back to the question. How should a poor person live.

We've all seen it, someone pulling their nice car into the front yard of the shack they live in. My WASP self has definitely thought, "hey that's a bad investment. Why don't you put more money into something that won't loose value like your house." Sometimes I've found myself sounding like that dude with the videos who does financial counseling. But who am I to judge other people on how they spend their money? Why should I care? I guess at some point there may be people abusing federal aid programs. Mom once commented on people on welfare that drove nicer cars than our Chevette. But I'm almost positive that everybody drove a nicer car than my mother at that point in our life.

Why? I guess I question myself on whether or not I'm living like a poor person should live. I think if the 11 year-old self saw the 23 year old self he'd be disappointed. "Hey where's your corvette? And why haven't you been out of med-school for four years? Why don't you have a retirement account?" I use to know what I was doing- I don't any more. I use to have a 5-year plan. My house, dog, and corvette have all gone out the window. It was going to be a 1968 stingray too. ;(

But back to the question. I'm not sure I live like a poor person should. On the other hand I'm not real sure what I should be doing differently. Honestly I'll spend about 20% of my salary on travel this year. I'm not sure that's 12 year-old Paul appropriate thing to do. I dunno.

Paul "<3 is not a heart" Murphy

1 Comments:

  • We've all had that thought. I drove past a tiny house in a slum recently and could easily see through the front window a big-screen HDTV. I think a big part of the equation is how well you are taking care of your responsibilities. If you've got a wife and kids, maybe little luxuries like groceries and decent shelter (not to mention boring stuff like life insurance and retirement funds) ought to be on the radar. On the other hand, if it's just you and you're meeting your needs as you define them, cool. If I didn't have people who depended upon me, I'd sure spend money a lot more "frivolously." Don't feel guilty about the travel. Indeed, travel all you can. It doesn't get easier later!

    By Blogger Coach Sal, at 12/06/2007 2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home