Stories of a Moron

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Monastery?

I'd like to thank everyone who submitted applications for where Paul Murphy moved to next. I still don't know where I'm going. At this point Charleston is looking pretty good. Sorry Jeremy, Michelle, and Stephen. Mormon desert isn't a very good church atmosphere. Amsterdam is too far from chocolate pie. Akron seems to have their ministry going pretty well. So here's the new idea. The monastery. Maybe a bad term.

The Chuck-town monastery. No this sounds bad. The Chuck-town commune. No still not good. The 1106 v.1.C-town. I dunno the name doesn't really matter. But here's the idea. I was going over churches and ministry opportunity in Charleston the other night with Philip. Sure there's some stuff going on in the outskirts, but there aren't any solid Coc churches in Chuck-town. I figure there's great ministry opportunity there. Ministry ideas:

1. College Ministry- College of Charleston MUSC Citadel Charleston Southern
2. Homeless ministry- its a city, we're going to live IN the city
3. Mentoring- As a members of the house we would take on various mentoring projects like coaching, tutoring, and I think we should have a little brother.
4. Rec league ministry- We go play sports and show people Jesus' love.

So here's the scoop. Find cool roommates. Buy a house near downtown Chuck-town.
Fix house so it is livable.
http://www.charlestonrealestateguide.com/2708753.html
http://www.charlestonrealestateguide.com/2719151.html
http://www.charlestonrealestateguide.com/2721844.html
http://www.charlestonrealestateguide.com/2733225.html

The first one is probably the best. Its a duplex.

Mortgage 20 year- $1500-$900/ month. Not bad for Charleston. And the first duplex has five bedrooms. Two a room? I've done three a room twice before. I guess if someone wanted they could pay the extra and get a single. Also we could split the levels girls/guys.

So first I need to see if there's any support out there. Anybody want to come live in Charleston??? Stoner? Stephen? C'mon. Anybody is welcome as long as they're willing to help out with our cool monastery type style. Ladies? any ladies out there want to go live in the ghetto of charleston?

I think its a cool idea. Go live somewhere and be a factor in the community. Show people God's love. Be a beacon in the darkness. Just have a cool place where the people are devoted to Christ and is a refuge for anyone who wants to come in. We'd always have hot chocolate and coffee during the winter. Weekly bible devotionals at the house. Group outings on the weekends. Friday night movie night. And just generally a good place for people to hang out.

Current Job openings:
Trident Tech: Librarian
Math teacher- sammer

Surely we can find jobs in Chuck town.


Paul "t-ball spectator" Murphy

6 Comments:

  • Except for that "demonstrated success" bit I appear qualified for the job. I looked at their library roster and am somewhat confused. For a solo gig that the job description makes sense. For an academic library with that many faculty-ranked librarians something seems awry.

    I'll think about it over the rest of the weekend, though. If you e-mail me I might be appreciate your line of thought.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/24/2007 11:18 PM  

  • Somebody beat you to the idea of a monastery, but the rest sounds kinda cool.
    http://www.mepkinabbey.org/home.htm

    By Blogger Josh M, at 11/25/2007 7:54 PM  

  • Have you read "Irresistable Revolution" by Shane Claiborne. More information on him at www.irresistablerevolution.org. There are several people who are doing what you are looking at. I also my be available/ need help planting a church community somwhere in the next few years. Just feeling a pull to go that way/. We should talk. I'll call you tell me when.....
    Daniel

    By Blogger Daniel Burns, at 11/26/2007 12:44 PM  

  • Dude if I don't get into med school, then count me in. I think that it's a cool idea. I did something similar in Little Rock, albeit a bit more suburban. Overall I think that it is one of your best ideas in a long time. I say that you make it happen. I vote on the third house.

    By Blogger Jeremiah Stoneburner, at 11/26/2007 8:14 PM  

  • If you want to give me a call I'm usually home around 4 pm AS time- so 9pm Central. Thursdays I'm out early for youth devo stuff. Fridays I don't do jack after school. 684-699-5185. Or email jpaulmrphy@gmail.com

    By Blogger Philip, at 11/28/2007 1:34 AM  

  • Actually this is a really cool idea. There are a couple of Christian community houses doing similar things here in Amsterdam. I think Charleston has real need.
    I think you should really make this happen.
    There's a group in PA doing something similar. Check out the Potter Street Community. You might get some ideas from them.
    http://www.thesimpleway.org/PSC/index.html

    By Blogger MSS, at 11/28/2007 2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home