Stories of a Moron

Friday, May 18, 2007

Stupid Bracelets

You ever wonder what happened with all that money from the WWJD bracelets? I have. In the end I don't really care too much, it's all marketing. But the question still is a good one. What Would Jesus Do? It's a flawed question; almost unanswerable. Since four books were written to account Jesus' life a lot of history has gone by and culture has changed. Which Jesus are we talking about? The one who chill'd with prostitutes or the one who made a whip and beat people in the Temple? I've been angry many times in life and I realize that that is not a "bad" thing. Today I got angry, I mean really really angry. I'm not sure if Jesus would have done what Paul Murphy did.

Think of the most angry you have EVER seen me. In fact, I'd like you to tell about the time that you saw me get angry. I'm sure there are some funny stories. I was more livid today than I have been in in at least the last three years. This is what happened.

I was playing golf with Shaun and Dean. Anyways we're taking our last few puts on the first hole when a group of guys at the tee box yells. Thinking a ball is headed our direction we scurried off the green, but no ball fell. So I informed the tee guys we were finishing up. At this point I'm a little miffed.

Hole 2.
We take our tee shots. All three, Dean, Shaun and myself our in the fairway despite poor distance. Shaun and I wind up near each other and Dean is on the other side of the fairway. As I wait for Shaun to take his 3wood shot I hear "Dink." Dink is the distinctive sound a driver makes when it makes contact with a golfball. Shaun is not using a driver and neither is Dean leaving me to look behind us at the tee box. There the trailing group was teeing off while we were standing in the fairway. At this point miffed Paul turns into angry Paul. Angry Paul is irate that a golfball just zipped 15ft away from his head (and nobody said a "fore" or "fa"). Angry Paul begins walking toward and yelling at the other group of four Samoan golfers. (Now think of the loudest you've heard Paul. I've had lots of practice at Bison basketball games, but even then I usually wasn't angry. What's the loudest you've ever hear me? please post.) As I yell at these golfers for endangering my safety and being complete jerks they continue walking. The old man starts cursing at me. The younger guy says "look at the scorecard." Now the scorecard says "Reminder: Let faster groups play through." A. They barely had taken there 1st tee shots when I took my hole 2 tee. B. They didn't think you were too stupid to realize that you don't hit a golfball at someone, surely that doesn't have to be stated? As I yelled I made sure they understood I didn't mind letting them play through but I did expect them to be polite.

In the end I my words were fine. I didn't say anything that Christ would be angry at me about. My question is did I have the right to yell and be livid about the situation? Thoughts, opinions, recommendations?

btw- USGA rules on etiquette place safety far above speed of play.
I'm pretty sure today's stress has taken a few months off my life expectancy.

Paul "1 on 4 aren't good odds" Murphy

2 Comments:

  • Almost an entire day later I'm still steamed.

    By Blogger Paul Murphy, at 5/18/2007 4:06 PM  

  • 1 on 4 might not be good odds for most people, but a livid paul murphy? I dont know... you might loose, but they "will remember the struggle and never do it again." Job 41:8

    When safety is in question you have every right to be angry. Our spirit is not one of timidity, we are not called to be pushovers. At the same time though, true strength comes with power under control. Jesus' sacrifice was so great because He could have called legions of angels to dominate (or just have done it himself) and yet he submitted...thats true power. I guess the question is: was Christ seen in your actions? something that is much easier said than done and we all struggle with.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/19/2007 9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home