Stories of a Moron

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Kathy Lee and Me

So this quarter I decided for art I would teach the 5th and 6th graders to sow. Now I'm not an expert on sowing but I can hold my own... pants together for a few weeks. Being away from mom and her first credit-card purchase sowing machine (circa. 1982) made me re-learn how to sow. Now back when I spent countless summer hours at home during elementary school mom would have us do little projects. On of those was learning how to sow, both by hand and the sowing machine. I am now taking what little I remember and instilling it into a bunch of 11 and 12 year olds.
Our class is having a play for the upcoming "Arts Festival." Our wonderful music teacher came up with a musical play for my class to perform. It is about the creation of the Constitution. I decided to integrate our sowing into the upcoming play. So now I've got my students making shirts and jackets. It's a real hassel trying to teach 14 students how to cut a propper sleave. Today it got really hot in the classroom and I started sweating alot while frantically trying to get all the sleaves at least started.
That's when I realised I had a bunch of 11 and 12 year olds sowing shirts. I chuckled to myself. I just hope the media doesn't come after me like they did Kathy Lee Gifford. "Honestly I didn't know that making children sow in the hot tropics was social foepa' or even against child labor laws."

Paul "There are no anemics in sweatshops" Murphy

9 Comments:

  • I'm confused. What exactly are you teaching your kids about female pigs?

    By Blogger Philip, at 4/25/2007 12:59 PM  

  • I don't think he's teaching them about female pigs - maybe he' teaching them about planting and growing things. I'm a little unclear on how they will make costumes from what they 'sow"

    By Blogger renee, at 4/25/2007 4:46 PM  

  • "foepa"? Please try faux pas in lieu thereof.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/25/2007 8:41 PM  

  • It's a ... poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word.

    By Blogger Josh M, at 4/25/2007 8:52 PM  

  • So I bet spelling isn't your classes strongest subject?

    By Blogger MSS, at 4/25/2007 9:16 PM  

  • Spelling aside, I have yet to meet a man or woman who knew how to sew and wasn't asked for help by someone who didn't know how. It's a useful skill to have, like cooking or basic home plumbing repair. Secondly, when I walk into a clothing store and find that I can purchase a shirt for under $15, I count it a blessing to be living in such a time and place.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/26/2007 6:29 AM  

  • shutup I dont =care

    By Blogger Paul Murphy, at 4/26/2007 11:39 AM  

  • hey what are your plans when you are in the states.

    cdyouthman.at.hotmail.com

    happy bday

    -Burnsey

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/27/2007 8:24 AM  

  • Oh, faux pas. That's what he was trying to say.

    And Paul, thanks for taking the "doesn't post much" tag off of my link. I've been working hard on that.

    By Blogger Luke Dockery, at 4/27/2007 7:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home