Stories of a Moron

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Comments and Recomendations

There are some passages in the Bible that I'm not sure I believe. Now if you ask me if I thought the Bible was God's word I would definitely agree that it is (or disagree depending on your stance). But there are some scriptures I have trouble with. Some of these I can chalk up to there just being a cultural difference or I'm not the intended audience. So here is part of my list of "Doesn't apply to Paul Murphy" verses

Lev. 21:13 13 "The woman he marries must be a virgin. 14 He must not marry a widow, a divorced woman, or a woman defiled by prostitution, but only a virgin from his own people..."

Ummm I think I can marry a prostitute if I so please. Jesus had one for a great great..... grandmother. By the time I'm 33 and ready to give up my life, I think the Divorced category might be the only option. By the way, does "my own people" mean Kentucky "people" (kinfolk) or like "Irish" people.


1 Cor. 7:8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am.

Jermy is never gonna get laid. Sorry Stoner, but I have a suprise at the end of this post.


Rev. 7:1 1After this I saw four angels standing at the four corners of the earth, holding back the four winds of the earth to prevent any wind from blowing on the land or on the sea or on any tree.

Silly John. The Earth is round, spheres don't have corners.


Now for a little more serious note.

Gen ch.1 I'm just not real sure God decided to do all that in 7 days. I'm not saying he couldn't, I'm just saying I don't believe it. In Hebrew 7 is perfect, maybe the writer was using some poetic liscence. Maybe the Jews screwed it up from the time it went from Moses to the Volgate. It's hard to except this passage at face value. Why wouldn't God do it in one day???


Now for probably the hardest passage that I deal with. This is the word of our LORD and Savior, so don't try to ammend it with a, "well you see Paul..."

Mathew 7:8 For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.

There have been many times I have prayed for something that never happened. There's lots of stuff. I think one day I'll keep a journal of it all. The fact is if you ask you may not receive. I've asked for many things that I didn't get and I'm not talking about a corvette or a bicycle. I've asked for people to be healed, guidance, blessing on my casting of lots, and most recently for my truck to work. That doesn't mean it happens. This one verse is probably the single bigest challenge to my faith. It seems like a lie. But maybe I'm not the intended audience. I know lots of people who underline and highlight in their bible. I think I may just cross this part out.


Paul Murphy

By The Way. If anyone is looking for a great movie to watch in the near future I recommend "The Constant Gardener." It has one of the greatest endings of any movie I have watched in a very long time. Its a powerful movie.
Kudos to Jeremy Stoneburner

5 Comments:

  • GREAT POST PMURPH! But then I checked out your comments and for some reason it made me think of this:

    PMurph: "Hey Teo, what's the difference between an Asian under a rock and a crab?"
    Teo: "I don't know Paul, what?"
    PMurph:"Nothing, they're both crushed asians"
    Teo: Paul, I can have sex with a hot girl whenever I want to.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/31/2007 12:38 PM  

  • I COMPLETELY forgot about that one. That is Excellent.

    By Blogger Paul Murphy, at 3/31/2007 10:10 PM  

  • Sometimes "no" is the answer God gives us. Just ask the (Biblical) Paul.

    By Blogger Luke Dockery, at 4/01/2007 10:23 AM  

  • A second vote for, "The Constant Gardener." The market/town scenes are some of the most realistic portrayls of what its like to be in Africa that I have ever seen in film.

    If you haven't seen "Children of Men" yet I would recommend that.

    By Blogger MSS, at 4/02/2007 4:01 PM  

  • John 13-17, specifically: John 14:13-14; 15:16; 16:23-24

    dont have a bible handy? check out: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%2014;&version=31;

    4x Jesus says "You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

    The greatest spiritual struggle in my life. I agree with you Paul. Was it spoken to me?

    John ch13 through ch17 is some of the greatest words in the Bible. Basically it is Jesus' final speech to the 11 (Judas leaves early in ch13 to do his deed) hours before His arrest and death.

    Would you have important things to say to your closest friends before you died? Jesus did...and we have them written down. check it out. If this doesnt challenge you...you arent reading it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/03/2007 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home