Stories of a Moron

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Saturday Morning carpentry lessons

We use to live in this old house. It was a house like no other I've ever seen before. Double cinderblock walls and massive solid wood beams were the infrastructure holding together lead paint, disentigrating wiring, leaky roof, families of mice, and a really cool place to play. Every saturday morning something needed to be fixed around the house. While some kids were watching X-men I was listening to my dad and his classic tag line "Dog gone-it." Saturdays I learned a lot about fixing stuff.

By the time we left we had re-wired, re-roofed, re-decorated, and were about to re-tile that turn-of-the-century boheameth(sp). I learned alot. Lessons like turn off the breaker first "Dog gone-it! That's hot!" A good black and decker corded drill is a lifesaver. Shingles weigh about 75lbs per pack. Never go after the leftover wood scrap on a table saw. All these were great lessons in carpentry and do-it-yourselfing. It tought me to be resourceful and fix junk. Multi-meter's are cool. I've become somewhat of a ghetto engineerer person. I may not know the right way to fix things but, they'll work by the time I'm done.

My reverse lights weren't working on the truck. Meaning I couldn't pass OMV inspection. So I fixed it. And by fixed it I mean I made it work without determining the cause of the electrical situation. So all those saturdays dad had us out handing him wrenches and flipping breakers are really starting to pay off. Though I may not know why Professor X is walking around with dinosaurs (I still don't know), I can shingle 400sq feet of roof in an hour.


Paul "Dun dun duuun, dun dun dunnn" Murphy


btw that was the MacGyver theme song

1 Comments:

  • Is he referring to your truck or a girlfriend of yours... I'm getting so confused on the posts/comments.

    By Blogger Philip, at 3/16/2007 3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home