Stories of a Moron

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Hope in the Human Spirit

I like to think that innately we are all good people, that without any external influence people will do what is best. The external influence part is tricky because there will always be external influences. As a historian I can easily see that people don't make the best decisions all of the time. In fact most of what we study in history is other people's mistakes. I guess it comes down to optimism.

I'm tired of people taking stuff from my truck. A few months ago my truck broke down in a parking lot. I had to have supper ready by 6pm so I abandoned the Gus and left on foot. I later went back to retrieve my truck after supper and what-not. Anyway I find a few day later that all of my cd's and speakers are gone. FAN-freakin-Tastic. No more tunes for me. What's worse is this island has pretty much adopted a ghetto culture. Rap is the favorite of most younger Samoans. So my collection of music isn't doing whoever any good. They probably listened to it once then tried to pawn it off on somebody in exchange for bus fare or a stalk of fruit. I'm sure whoever has it was disappointed in my crappy music. Remy Zero? What the heck. I can just hear the thieves laughing at me after listening to my coldplay collection. Or maybe I made Tom Petty fans out of them. Who knows? Maybe somewhere on the island there is someone else rocking out to the mellow styles of the Garden State sound track. I can only hope that someone might increase their music aptitude by ganking my cd's. More likely they listened to it once then trashed it.

Anyways it makes me really angry when people take my stuff. On one hand it is just stuff. On the other hand I'm the one who stuff it was. Just yesterday someone took my new walkman cd player out of the truck. I'm tired of this. I use to have hope in the human spirit. That given the chance we could all prove ourselves trustworthy. I never use to lock my jeep, and nobody ever bothered it. Maybe people have changed in the last few years. Or maybe its just the people on this island. I'd like to think I didn't have to lock my door, but I'm wrong.

Paul "Doubter in the Human Spirit" Murphy

5 Comments:

  • I think most people are pretty good, even with external influences. It might not seem like it, when you keep getting your stuff stolen, but you could look at it this way:

    There may have been a dozen people who had the opportunity to break into your car and steal your stuff, but only one person did.

    Of course, either way, your stuff got stolen, so you might just want to disregard my optimism.

    By Blogger Luke Dockery, at 8/19/2007 7:17 PM  

  • Think about it this way: You are starting to sound like me. Is that necessarily a good thing?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/19/2007 8:29 PM  

  • Didn't you have all your cds stolen at Harding? Or was that your brother's stuff?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/21/2007 2:34 PM  

  • That was Josh's stuff at Industrial park if I remember correctly

    By Blogger Paul Murphy, at 8/25/2007 12:39 AM  

  • nono... it was at the Searcy community center before PODNA. All but two or three of those CD's were in all honesty, burned/stolen anyhow.

    By Blogger Josh M, at 8/30/2007 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home