Stories of a Moron

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

100th Post

This is now my 100th post since this blog started August 29th, 2006. I think I'm a better blogger now then then. Anyway, Luke Dockery tagged me for an eight question extraveganza. I get to ask then answer the questions, so here we go.

1. What is something that is embarrassing about you that most people probably don't know?

I am socially inept. My biggest fear is probably talking to people I don't know. What normal interactions I have with people is the result of years of working on my social skills. I've slowly learned how to not act like a complete weirdo. In high school I really only had three or four friends. None of them were girls. I still get thrown off when a new social experience happens and I revert back to that ineptitude. I really have to practice this stuff.

2. Who is your favorite author?

Oooh, good question self. We'll start with literary author; that's easy. Emily Dickenson. Most authors write for fame or money, Emily wrote for herself. There's something fake in a lot of literary works, but She was not marred by the threat of public opinion. I like that. It's real.
Social Science- Peter F. Drucker takes the prize. He's brilliant.
Math- Blaise Pascal. Also brilliant.

3. You're 24 days away from not having a date in 1400 days, any big plans?

1400 days? That's something like 3 1/2 years. Time really sneaks up on you. Fall of 2003 is right though. No I don't have any big plans. But I like to think I have a good excuse for the whole mess.

4. What's your "good excuse?"

I was holding out before preseason practice for a better contract. Something with more guarantied money and a longer contract. I held out well into the 2005-2006 season, well after they signed a different player to a long term contract. Optimism I guess.
That's a dumb answer
It makes since

5. You played sports for many years, including Ultimate Frisbee in college. Do you consider yourself a good athlete?

No I don't, but I do enjoy many sports. I play Ultimate, volleyball, and soccer pretty competitively. But I was never that fast, tall, and can't really jump. I'm not an athlete, I'm just determined when it comes to sports, any sport. I hate loosing so I give my best, 100%, all the time.

6. You live in American Samoa now. What made you decide to move out there and do you ever plan on moving back home?

Oooh another good question self. I moved to the island because it was a great opportunity. Besides that I love hanging out with my brothers. It's fantastic. I feel sorry for Josh, because he can't be there too. I really don't ever plan on moving back to North Augusta, SC. It's a dull place. The next place I move has to have an adult rec. league program.

7. What do you plan on doing when you leave the island next June?

Go to camp. I don't really know what I'll do. I've been looking at some different options but it is really too far out to tell what will be available. I'd like to do something not boring like removing land mines or coaching Ultimate. I don't really know.

8. If you were Tim Hudson how would you pitch to Barry Bonds tonight?

Considering Bonds has a good history (batting .448) off me,Tim Hudson, I'll have to be creative out there. I'll start the lefty out with something high and inside, but I'll need to be careful to miss his grossly enlarged head from years of steroid abuse. I'll walk him on 5 pitches the first time up. The next time I'll keep everything on the outside of the plate with my cutter and curve ball. If he hits a home run off of me I'll bean him in the knee with a career ending fastball. 1 away from The Hammer's record. Sweet Justice.


Paul "Steroid Stunner" Murphy

4 Comments:

  • Good Post, thankfully being a someone trained in the science of Psychology / counselling I think I can assist in making the coming year one of your best.
    Someone once said that a way to get around social ineptness is to imagine the people around you are naked while you are fully clothed. Man does that make for a ackward situation. Try asking a girl out for a date whilst imagining her naked...why would she want to go out with someone with a strange stance, red face that drools a lot. I am a true believer in being honest, simply take a deep breath walk up to someone and say "Hi, my name is Paul Murphy, how are you?".
    I am happy that you have a favourite author....but isn't that soooo 9 years old? A man of your vintage should now be working on having a favourite sculptor or maybe even tackle the question "the cd's that I am currently listening to in my car are..."
    No date in 1400 days, sounds like me (except I am married and have not dated in 3900 days!). I think you set your standards far too high. Try thinking a little less Eva Longoria and a bit more Rosanne Barr...that may get you somewhere.
    I agree with you that you are not a good athlete but you do give 100%. In the short time I have known you you have skinned your knees playing tennis against me (and lost), fallen off a waterfall (on top of me) and put a hole in your leg, and once finally managed to beat me in karoke by picking a song that no man could ever reach the high note on. At the end of the day though, as you get older, it is the simple enjoyment of the game that matters most....yeah right!
    I think that when you leave the island you should continue to explore the world. Personally, I have lived in a desert, now the tropics and next I hope to move to Lapland....for a change in scene and temperature. I understand the female population up there outnumber guys, maybe you should consider it....up there the girls are desperate and therefore are forced to drop their standards, how could you lose!
    Pitching to Barry...I think every pitcher should now just throw the ball at him and walk him everytime he comes to bat. This would display the games contempt for cheats amongst their midst.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/24/2007 1:01 PM  

  • Hmmm...

    I could say something substantive. In this instance, those remarks must remain reserved.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/25/2007 8:24 PM  

  • I am currently listening to Enrique Iglesias' Escape.
    You can run you can hide but you can't escape my love..."

    By Blogger Paul Murphy, at 7/26/2007 2:31 PM  

  • P Murph I'll say it again: YOU'RE SUCH A STUD!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/29/2007 6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home