Stories of a Moron

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Advice from a Moron

My posts have been infrequent the last month; but nobody called me to complain like you would the newspaper delivery guy.

I went camping this past week with my friend and old roommate Jeremy Stoneburner. We shot the breeze and hung out at the New River Gorge National River, or NRGNR for short. It was a really great place. It's where they have "Bridge Day" and BASE jump off the bridge. I think that's redundant. But here we go on the Advice. 2 sections. Camping & Road trips.

Advice for Camping

- Check the tent out. You don't want a small backpacking tent when you've got 2 people. Tents are notorious for printing sardine recommendations like "sleeps 6." Take the number given and divide by 1.5 to find the actual number of comfortable inhabitants.
- Bring a tarp. That small tent might not actually be waterproof and a thunderstorm could spring up during the night and soak you and your camping partners sleeping bags and other stuff.
- Bring good firewood. Pine is OK and lights quickly. Oak and hardwoods burn hot but are harder to light. Beech wood sucks. Don't bring Beech wood.
- If all goes to trash, your car is a constant safe-haven.
- Bring extra string. It always helps

Advice for Road Trips
- If you're lazy then stay under 10mph over the speed limit. Nobody likes a careless speeder
- Limit your stops. Gage your gas and know how many stops you "Have" to make. Only make that number of stops.
- Driving at night is much better than daytime. Less traffic and virtually no traffic jams after 9 pm
- Don't push yourself. If you're sleepy; you probably need to sleep or dope up on a Mountain Dew-Frappachino coctail
- Have something to eat or drink in the car before you start.

Then next few tips are Paul Murphy (The Moron's) tips on getting to destinations quickly.

- Know the state in which you're speeding. GA is tolerates about a 10mph overage, as do MS, AL, and SC. DON'T speed in WV, VA, or much on TX interstates.
- No speeding through small towns. Famous small towns are Jackson, SC Wynn, AR and Mertzon, TX
- Don't speed near active construction zones. Police officers like to protect those DOT guys. Especially in Augusta, GA
- Use the wire. In some states they have put up a "safety barrier" between lanes of the Interstate. It limits turnaround opportunities. Works best if you know where the turnarounds are. (I-20 1-54mi- 2mi 13mi 26mi 34mi 43mi-45mi)
- Use signs of active State troopers. Notice things like persistent tire marks through the median. Turnarounds near hills. Pulled cars in the opposite lane.
- Where there's one, there's a good chance at multiple wagons
- Use truckers as your speeding barometer. If the 18 wheelers are going 80mph then its safe to say there aren't any police cruisers around.
- If you're really in a hurry you can go extra speedy uphill. State troopers are looking for the careless speeder, not the professional. They park at the bottoms of hills not the top. Speeding uphill gives you an edge.
- Fuzz Busters and radar detection devices work, but don't abuse them; and remember they are illegal in some states.
- Watch the road. Don't be a lazy speeder. Watch traffic, including oncoming traffic. Be safe. After a while you learn to look miles ahead for that "parked car" on the bridge clocking traffic or the distinctive front profile of the Ford Crown Victoria (police favorite). Don't be reckless if you speed, act like a professional.

Paul "0 speeding tickets" Murphy

3 Comments:

  • When I was in high school and had been driving only maybe a year or so, our youth minister got on a kick about it being a sin to speed AT ALL. He would say you were sinning to do 61 in a 60 zone. Well, being the experienced driver that I was, I said to myself how wrong he was, and I complimented myself on never having gotten a ticket, even though I sped all the time. This was my reaction after a Wednesday night lesson that particularly harped on this point. Guess what happened to me on my drive home that night? I was not especially trying to speed; I was just listening to my music and was paying more attention to the road than to my speedometer. As you could guess, I was interrupted mid-song by blue lights flashing behind me. I thought, "surely they're not coming after ME," but I discovered to my complete dissatisfaction and humiliation that they were.

    Moral of the Story: If you're going to speed, don't be cocky. God pays attention to stuff like that. It has taken me a while to learn my lesson, as this was not the last ticket I ever received. The last time was also a spiritual experience for me because I had said as well earlier that day that surely God wouldn't let me get pulled over. Believe me, God loves us enough to keep us humbled. Anyway, I don't know whether or not God cares about how fast we drive (I have a feeling He does, but I have a hard time admitting it), but He DOES care about our attitudes. I do not suppose to know anyone else's heart, I just know what happened to me when MY attitude wasn't right, so just be careful...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/10/2007 12:15 PM  

  • You forgot the best tip of all:

    Caravan with Patrick Williams. That guys is a maniac speeder, but he never gets caught.

    By Blogger Luke Dockery, at 7/10/2007 1:22 PM  

  • Hey, what's up with the infrequent posts...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/23/2007 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home