Stories of a Moron

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Neccessity is the mother of all big mistakes

I realize that that's not the correct saying but if you're a Murphy it quickly takes form, weight, and truth. So here it begins.

Being the good looking person that I am, my friend Midchelle thought I would make a good Jonah for a little skit at camp. She informed me of her selection and wrote me into the script. Meanwhile, Danny Vaden bailed to play the part of Jesus in the big production on Thursday night. The perfect storm had bruid and fate was ready to strike.
Oh, by the way; my hair is kinda long and after a week of travel I look a little scruffy.

So I get to camp and on Saturday I was asked by Tommy The Program Director if I wanted to be Jesus in the Thursday night big production. I agreed, always looking to serve.

Sunday came and went. There wasn't any script studying. Monday and Tuesday came and I started reading over the material. Wednesday came and I started memorizing. But it was too late. Sometime Wednesday afternoon I decided that I could get away with not memorizing my lines at all. All I had to do was find a small, ear-piece, headphone and plug it into my WT (2way radio). Then I just had to get Matt Fields to read my lines. It would be perfect.

So Thursday morning roles around and I get ready for the Jonah play. The headphones look perfect and are completely undetectable. I start into my part of the skit.

"From the depths of the sea... you rescued me... I sank to the depths..." My earpiece dropped out twice but I was still roling like a champ. Meanwhile a dog had been startled and took a defensive nip at a little girl. I don't care about that b/c no harm no foul. What I do care about is what it caused. Over the WT the call came for somebody to find nurse Karen. At this point Fields can't read me my lines as we are now searching for Nurse Karen. Ooops the skit is ruined. Knowing this I scan the crowd and repeat the line I was given "Does anybody know where nurse Karen is?!" Chaos insued "Fields help me out!" (ommage to Chevy Chase 3amigos) "Line!" Danny Baddeley finally threw his script at me and I finished in shame. Somewhere in there there was extreme laughter on my part. I don't think anybody remembers what the skit was about; only my mistakes.

Paul "Public appology to Michelle" Murphy

I didn't do the same thing that night. I memorized my lines like a champ.

7 Comments:

  • It was perfect!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/19/2007 6:43 PM  

  • In the words of Danny B., "It couldn't have gone any worse and yet it couldn't have gone any better." You just can't write things that funny.

    Apology accepted, although I will continue to harass you about this for years to come.

    Honestly I'm not sure what was funnier, watching you rolling on the floor shaking with laughter or poor Matt Fields standing in the back with this look that screamed "Wow, we're screwed and there is nothing I can do."

    By Blogger MSS, at 6/19/2007 7:14 PM  

  • I thought we'd tried that same idea last year and ended up not doing it for just that type of reason...too bad I had to miss that classic P-Murph moment

    By Blogger Sam Travaglini, at 6/19/2007 9:31 PM  

  • There's nothing kids love more than watching someone humiliate himself. Well done :)

    By Blogger Aimée Nicholson, at 6/20/2007 6:09 AM  

  • Paul, I thought you were a terrific Jesus. Even with so many dropped lines (not by you) it went well (until the CD player demons came)>

    By the way - Have you figured out which of the apostles is Peter yet? (Hint - it isn't Kevin)

    Seriously, thank you for ALL you did to make SuperWeek what it was. You lived out your calling(s) well.

    Michael

    By Blogger MichaelPolutta, at 6/20/2007 12:03 PM  

  • Interesting

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/21/2007 8:41 PM  

  • It will be a classic for a long time to come. Wouldn't change it for anything now.

    By Blogger Danny Baddeley, at 6/25/2007 4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home