Stories of a Moron

Monday, October 16, 2006

Dream Job?

I remember writing an entrance essay for USC grad school. In the essay I was supposed to tell why I wanted to be a teacher. I wrote that people had always told me that I should get a job I enjoy doing, and I really enjoyed playing disc. Unfortunately there is no such thing as a paid ultimate player, nor would I qualify for that possition.

I've always had trouble figuring out what I wanted to do. Things I enjoy: Running, playing, being challenged, shooting clays, climbing, swimming, and stuff like that. My current job only offers one of these, being challenged. I've often thought of another job that would encompass all of the things I love.

The first few times I visited with an army recruiter was after my sophomore year of college and the beginning of the whole war on terrorism. I figured my country might need me. And they were offering to pickup much of the bill for college. The recruiter informed me that I would not be able to go to school in Ark. if I joined up (now I realize its b/c he wanted the recruit for the SC national guard and wasn't looking for a recruit for the US army). All this made me think they really didn't need me that much.

The next time was last spring. I didn't really know what I was going to do after grad school. I figured joining the Army special forces would be fun and challenging. Besides they were offering over $20,000 in bonus upon completion of the SF program. After blowing the ASVAB completely out of the water and only having one point deducted b/c of time ( I got every answer correct) the recruiter started showing up at my house. The only problem with joining the Army is that nothing is really guaranteed. Just by the chances I probably wouldn't make it through SF training. That and I have the stingy knee problem. I still think I could make it though. And thats a job that would encompass all of the things that make me happy.

My mom is probably happy I didn't join. And with teaching I get a job thats challenging and I get to help people, not shoot people from 1100 yards after jumping out of an airplane 32,000ft above earth. And I have the entire summer to do all those other things that I really enjoy.

Paul

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home