Stories of a Moron

Wednesday, September 20, 2006


Preparedness

I think one of my favorite verses from the past two years is Epesians 6:14. I think thats right. Just the whole idea of Paul talking about what you need to be a good servant. I use to skip over verse 14 because it wasn't cool. The whole idea of shoes being something you would wear to prepare for war wasn't to appealing, I wear shoes all the time, well at least sandals or something. But here Paul says some crazy stuff. Everytime I've gone over this section in a class they talk about how there's no protection for your back because a soldier isn't supposed to run and stuff like that. They never really hang with the whole feet-readiness issue. But I like it. I think this is one of the most important verses in the bunch. Paul basically says be ready for anything, and he means anything. But not only be ready for anything, but if you go through some serious poop it'll be allright. Which from most preachers would seam like nothing special, but this is from Paul. He was beaten with rods several times, whipped more times than he could count, and stoned. Not like Bob Marley stoned but like two GIANT rocks rolled ontop of the man, STONED. So for him to say, hey it can get a lot worse, but in the end it'll only get better means alot more than myself or some preacher. You may think, "but what if I die?" I think I recall Paul saying at one point that, "to live is Christ and to die is gain." Well yah if you always got the poopy beat out of you because you were doing what God said, well yah then to die would be some sort of releif. I've heard alot of people talk about the thorn in Paul's flesh. I think he was tired of getting knocked around like a guy wearing a skirt at a Rednecks for Republicans bbq.

Anyways. All that is to frame the class I have. Before school started people sort of laughed at the student roll I had. They told me things like, "It'll be an interesting class." Basically they were telling me that my class was "different." I don't know if I'm supposed to divulge such information but I have something like 4 children with ADHD, 1 with diagnosed learning disability(I'm not sure all of it but something like dislexic), 1 with severe learnign disablities that they're not really sure whats up (something like disgraphia), and one very special girl with a nonverbal learning disability (something akin to autism or asbergers). And by special I don't mean she has a low IQ or anything, she's pretty sharp. Reading comprehension is spectacular. She scored almost twice as high as my lowest grade on the last test. But she still has some serious issues. All that said I enjoy having her in class, I just don't know what I'm supposed to do all the time. And furthermore no class I had ever prepared me for this. The closest would be a Counseling class I took as an elective in Grad School. So if anyone sees Dr. Alexander tell her her class rocks. Basically it was a class completely on school age children and disabilities they may have. Furthermore because it was a Counseling class it taught me how to talk to parents and the child and what not. I think it should be a permanent part of the Masters curriculum at Harding, or any school for that matter. Once again, I may not have all the answers, or really hardly any answers. But I do know that whatever goes down we can handle it.

Paul Murphy

Despair.com is responsible for the picture. They thought about doing a calendar for University of Tennessee football but they had alot more than 365 hillarious ideas.

This is Morty
My Nissan Pickup

1 Comments:

  • Did you ever see the despair.com ripoff on the gamecocks? It's pretty easy to find. If it weren't at least a little bit true, it wouldn't hurt so bad.

    By Blogger Josh M, at 9/21/2006 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home