Stories of a Moron

Monday, September 04, 2006

Church, Labor Day, and Work

Well today's posting will be a little overview. If you want a more comprehensive storyline go to my brother Philip's blog @ http://samoanews.blogger.com.

Church is a bit unusual. The regular sunday attendance is ussually half Samoan half Palagi (whitey). Now the church has about 90 someodd people on the copher role but not that many show. We have a large contingency of people from one village, Pavai'ai. We have representatives from three familys, I think. Most of our teens and younger people come from the village. Their singing is pretty spectacular. You can definitely tell when the families from the village show up to church, ussually in the back of Lynn or Philip's truck. Church service is conducted in half Samoan and half Enlgish. I'm slowly picking up some Samoan but its only church Samoan. Tusi Pai- Holy Scripture, Lelei- peace, Ailii- God, O le os so- Beginning of sentances. I was translating the morning anouncements for Shaun the other day.
Me: "Sione can't make it this moring because he is sick, or out somehwere travleing."
Two seconds later Sione gets up to lead the opening prayer
Shaun: Gives me a look

Which brings me to work
School is pretty sweet. I teach a combined class of 5th and 6th grade. My students are pretty much rock solid. Though they vary in ability they all are very capable. I have 16, which my friend Peter Miller says is a vacation (Pete is S. African and taught inner city Memphis for a year). Granted I push my kids I think they can do the work. Like I told them the first day, after I gave them a two and a half hour test, I appreciate effort and expect it from them. Shaun Snyder is one of the other new teachers this year, he Jaime and myself round out that category. Shaun is a Lubboc C. grad and teaches the 3rd and 4th graders next door to me. Shaun's blogg is http://shauninsamoa.blogspot.com
Shaun and I hang out.

Labor day
Well Morti is a beast of a truck with its V6 and 31in tires. So much so that he pimp slapped me for naming him Mortimer. Though Truck has some small issues, like a leaky moon roof, it has a moon roof. It is a continuation of non-brand loyalty and oversized cars. My first car was an Chevy S-10 that I think we put more money into afterwards fixing it than we actually bought it for. Three clutch issues later and some other stuff I inheritted the family mini-van to take to college. The 92 Ford Aerostar will always remain a classic Paul Murphy car. At one point I added some bead curtains to the side door. Colt, with some help, started calling it the shaggin' waggon, which stuck. I got the waggon with 213,000 mile and drove it untill 230,00. Dad tacked another 40,000 on and I think I finally killed it on the drive back from the sailing adventure. I drove the shaggin waggon proudly until I bought the Jeep Wrangler. The Wrangler is a beast. But now I've moved to the Nissan pickup. Just one more car that refuses to top 20 mile/gallon in this petrolium strapped world. I like to think of myself as helping the local economy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home