Stories of a Moron

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Fishing, and I'm out

Season after season, year after year I look forward to the Gamecocks football season. But for the last time. Today has been pretty stressful. Although we went swimming in the ocean this morning it's been all downhill since then. Though I haven't been playing the course at all, I've lost more golf balls in the past week and a half then, well, alot. About 14. I'm serious as earpuss, and thats some serious stuff. Luckily none of the balls were actually mine. Furthermore most of them will probably reclaimed by the Willis' and Ashleys as I shanked most of those 14 into their yard/bushes/coconut pile. Four just "disapeared," which I noticed today. It makes me angry because I spend a good deal of time searching for those balls at night on the golfcourse. My record is six balls in one night. I've gotten pretty good at spotting those white round objects in low light. One night a few days ago (?) I found a ball in the water hazard. Now there aren't any permanent water hazards on the course but it had been raining for three days straigt so some pretty large puddles. Furthermore, Philip found two today while we were snorkeling. Anyways. I'm pretty hacked at my non-improvement in the area of golf. I'm about ready to wrap my clubs around a tree. What was it Paul said? If your eye is causing you to sin then gouge it out. So I think I've got a biblical basis for taking my clubs and smashing them against a tree. I've also managed to draw the short straw tonight and have Colt, Ally, and Julia. The adults are out to dinner. Philip offered to get a babysitter but I didn't want to deal with a babysitter. So I chose the less of the two bad proposals. I don't think it'd be that bad but for the horrible day. Which brings me to the Gamecocks. Every year I'm assured by the coach that they will do well. Every year I watch games and buy a new hat (sometimes two. I loose alot of hats). I don't ask for much. An SEC championship would great. I'd give Philip and Jaime's three kids for a national championship (That's a joke, I'd have to pay for them to take Ally). Really I don't ask much, a win over Georgia, Clemson, and Tennessee, maybe Florida, oh oh and Arkansas for the years we play them. But it never happens. The South Carolina Gamecocks haven't won a conference title since 1969. They haven't even won any of the games I've gone to. My point is I'm tired of the dissapointment, the second rate job, the half effort by players and coaching staff, and by a state and athletes with no loylaty to their own football programs. I'm willing to bet that over half (if not all) of the top recruits in SC HS football go out of state to play ball. I'm tired of it. For years the Gamecocks have been turning their back on me, but not this year. This year I've had enough. I liked to consider myself a loyal fan, supporting the Gamecocks even in their 0-12 season. But I'm done. My Braves are out of the playoff contention, Doug Flutie retired from football, Apocalypse still can't pull out a close game against a top ranked opponent (club sectionals this weekend. Though ranked 7th they have an excellent opportunity to place fourth and continue the bracket braking that began last semester after the upset of a 2 seed in the Southern Region (which is most of the schools from TX, AL, LA, TN, KS, AR, OK, MS, and MO)), and I got beat a few times at Halo by some highschoolers (smaller controllers were really messing me up). But I digress. For years the Gamecocks have been turning their back on me, but not this year. This year I'm turning my back on them, I'm done. Throwing the hat away, not requiring my students to know the next opponent, not watching the games. No more trying to get Julia's first word to be Gamecocks, no more agitating Clemson fans, no staring at pictures of Williams Bryce stadium when I'm homesick, no more games. I'm tired of it. I'm tired of having to face Mark Grayson after the loss to Georgia, tired of sitting in the visitors section at Arkansas games to watch my team lose in front of 60,000 razorback fans yelling "soooooooWEEEEE pig," no more having to hear it from Daniel Burns (what happend to him anyways?), no more. No more. No more. I'm out.

Paul Murphy

The Flying Spaghetti Monster created Texas as a sad joke
http://www.venganza.org/
(How'd that guy get a .org site?)
(FSM is not supported by the writer of this blog, nor any view expressed on the website)
(I must say the pirate-global warming thing is pretty interesting, and Statistically significant. Ask Dr. Thornton)

3 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger DK, at 9/10/2006 12:51 PM  

  • His Noodly Appendage!!

    BUHWAHHAHAHAHA
    ---------------------------------
    But seriously Paul, if you're turning your back on USC, then are you going to become a Clemp-sun fan?

    By Blogger DK, at 9/10/2006 12:57 PM  

  • Hey Paul, how devoted of a fan were you during the 0-12 campaign???? I'd be interested to know because we only played 11 games that year. Look on the bright side, that's one less loss to stress over.

    By Blogger Philip, at 9/11/2006 8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home