Stories of a Moron

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Random Scattered thoughts on Judas and Peter (long)

I found myself wondering tonight who committed the greater crime, Judas or Peter. I get the fealing that Judas wasn't exactly the greatest apostle from the get-go. I can recall in one of the gospels an account that Judas was the keeper of the money and sometimes helped himself to it. But that could have been written out of spite. I don't really know. My pondering is on who's betrayal was worse. Jesus new both sidekicks would leave him. Moreover he possibly picked Judas because he needed an out to death. If Jesus doesn't conquer death than how do we know he was the Son of God? Remember this for a few minutes. Judas sells Jesus out for what? 40 pieces of silver? Not cool. But Jesus never really calls Judas on any of it. On the other hand he does call Peter on his betrayal. Worse Pete says he would never, then does. I think if Jesse Shuff was responsible for my imprissonment I would eventually just write him off as a friend and get over it. Now if Kevin Stewart said he was with me to the death and took off when the cops came, I'd be hacked. I'm not sure I could trust him again with anything important. But Jesus doesn't do either. He forgives Judas and I think was extremely sad when Judas couldn't forgive himself, which I think is the case with alot of people. Forget The End of the Spear that would be a rock'n story, Jesus takes Judas back. I don't know which person hurt Jesus more, Peter, one of his best friends, or Judas, someone who was shifty from the beginning. Not to say Shuff is shifty. But I guess God was kind of use to it after 1000 years of dealing with the Israelites, his chosen people.

Today in class I think I might have made a Peter mistake. Now not completely. But I still feel pretty bad. I had a student asking about when our breaks were. I begin explaining that we get a break at the end of every quarter. The second quarter ends in a two week Christmas break. The student replied that she did not celebrate Christmas but welcolmed the break anyways. Furthermore they got to have lots of celebrations throughout the year. I asked the student if they were Jewish, which they replied they were Bahai. Now that through me for a loop. I know very little about Bahai and infact it all would have been a guess. But taken aback by the strange suggestion I replied "oh, thats cool." But I didn't mean it. I kinda feel like I've pulled a Peter (as the dogs bark outside the window). I don't think thats cool. In fact I think its pretty bad.

If you're not familiar with Bahia wikipedia it up. I think that its an attractive notion in todays world. I would love to be a part of a religion that was known for its efforts in peace and giving. One thing I've encountered on the Island is that a good deal of the Americans are... Well this begins another discourse. I don't want to use the word "liberal" because that connotation means alot. They don't like fetus', they don't support our troops, homosexuality is O.K. and in some respect, respected and "cool," they don't love Jesus, they have little to no morals, they smoke pot, don't like christianity, don't keep propper hygene, have dred locks, have lived in the back of a Volkswagen at some point, have an I heart Barbra Boxer poster, eat Tofu, like Indi Rock, live in communes, and have strange religions. So liberal in most of those senses is probably not the right word. But they are liberal in the classic sense. I guess moving to an island in the South Pacific is only attractive to a small segment of the population. I guess you could sort of call them "free spirited" people. So I can see how a religion like Bahai is attractive to someone like that. It promotes peace. That's definetly not something Christianity does. Christianity promotes the war in Iraq, anti-homosexual hate crimes, discontinuing welfare, forced state religion and religion in school, slavery, segregation, the crusades, Capitalistic Imperialism, and Good ole fashion Imperialism. We don't promote peace and love do we? I think the biggest problem American christians have to overcome is the seperation of national identity from christianity. Is it O.K. if children are not taught intelligent design in school? Of course it is. If you haven't spent enought time with your child explaining Genisis chapter 1 by the 6th grade then your problem isn't the school's curriculum. If you think that the war in Iraq is God's will then you haven't spent enought time in Ephesians. Jesus did not bring a gospel of victory through battle, he brought a gospel of victory through peace and love. If you think the Republican or Democratic party has the answers to our country's problems, I think your sadly mistaken. If you think that the ideas of christianity are intertwined in either party then I think you're full of it. If you vote for the Republican party because you think they have the highest morals and represent the ideas of christianity then someone has fooled you. You want to vote for the Republicans because they have the best representation of Christ, no-way. You want to vote for a party with the most imbedded the ideas of christianity in their platform try the Prohibition Party. I get angry when someone thinks that a political monsterosity like parties will actually represent their beliefs in christianity. You need to represent your beliefs in Christ, not someone you vote for. You need to be activily trying to curb abortion, not just voting for it. You want people to stop having abortions, then get involved in an after school program, get involved in their lives. Abortion isn't the problem, its only a symptom of a country that we haven't loved enough. Homosexual marriages aren't a problem, they are a symptom of not showing people Jesus' love and what he wants for them. Christians have gotten a bad rep in alot of circles, and honestly as a collective group we probably deserve it. But that shouldn't stop us of sharing what, as Paul writes, is a gospel of peace. I can see why someone would turn to a religion as wishy-washy as Bahai when I look at our country. It would be nice if a religion offered a gospel of peace, of love, and unity.


Paul Murphy

We don't show love in our actions, peace in our vernacular, or unity in our church politics.

4 Comments:

  • Paul, I have been keeping up with your blog and loving all of it, please keep it up!

    Today you nailed it man! HUGE concepts and I LOVE IT! I have honestly not thought about Peter and Judas like that and I appreciate your insight more that you know. You, through the insights that GOD has given you, have given me some meat to chew on and I LOVE IT, I CRAVE IT! Excellent observations. Thank you for sharing your wisdom, it is needed and is refreshing.

    I wish you the best for dealing with these children. I have already and will continue to pray that GOD gives you wisdom and the presents of mind to respond to future situations. May the LORD Bless you and Keep you, May HE give you the words to say and appropriate actions to take, May HE overflow from your mouth to these children.

    I really enjoy reading your blog, please dont stop. Miss you here man, everyone does (cant tell you how many times that I have heard people say that. I cant tell you, not because i was sworn to secrecy, but because its too many to count). Be Strong and Courageous!

    Your friend and fellow handler,
    Justin Bland

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/19/2006 9:18 AM  

  • what's up paul,

    excellent thoughts my friend. as w/ bland, i had never thought of those two individuals like that either. definately something to think about when considering the "little betrayals" that we do in terms of daily living and our walk w/ christ.

    amazing how your thoughts are following very similar paths to those that we're doing in the bible study i've been going to here (there actually are some at UT, amazingly enough) in terms of being a disciple and having our actions exemplify christ, and not simply our thoughts and theories of how things should be. we do need to be going out and showing him to people, and not simply passively sitting back hoping for others to step up.

    thanks for the thoughts man. take care of yourself.

    Sam

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/19/2006 9:52 AM  

  • Is this the same person who laughed when he gave Tom the Toad a heart attack with a swat of his sandal the other night??????

    funny stuff.

    By Blogger Philip, at 9/19/2006 12:57 PM  

  • You just said a lot of things I've been thinking, only much more eloquently than I could have put them. Thank you for sharing your insights. I could comment more, but that's a tough act to follow.

    By Blogger MSS, at 9/19/2006 9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home