Stories of a Moron

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Monetary Meditations

I think one of my favorite things to do is save money. Now not like putting money in a bank account and planning for "retirement" or anything like that. What I mean when I say "save money" is paying less for more. Like getting a round trip from Atlanta to Las Vegas for $15. In fact I don't just like saving money, I like talking about saving money. I think one thing that really annoys Jaime is that Philip and I will sit and talk for an hour about how to save money on little things. In college Tom Greenway, Josh and myself would sit around the dormroom talking cheap for hours. Furthermore any time we found something on sale, that we considered a good deal, we'd rush in to inform our cheap brethren about our find. Tom, Josh and I ate a lot of nasty food from the East Park grocery store that had expired a month previous. But we were always looking for a deal. I think I get alot of that from my dad, who has been known to buy stuff because it was heavily discounted. So if anyone is looking for a designer, hand-woven, authentic, persian rug drop me a line. I can recall on several occasions Tom or Josh bursting through my door to inform me that the Sexton Foods had cut milk prices in half because they expired the day before. We figured as long as we drank all seven gallons that day it'd still taste good. We really could and did just sit around talking about cheaper prices. In fact the last several times I've talked to Tom we talk gas milage, and the fact that my Jeep got better milage at 85mph than 74 (It has to do with the powerband. Too bad there aren't any places to drive 85).

Here on the island there aren't that many bargains or deals. You pay full price for pretty much everything, or more. But just like every captialistic economy there are deals to be found. One thing that has upset me is that there are no 20 oz bottles of Dr. Pepper on the island. Only cans; no 2 liters either. So I've been buying Mountain Dew for $1.35. One day I realized that the abscence of 20oz DP was really a good thing. I can buy two 12oz DP's for $0.50 a piece. So 24oz for $1 or 20 oz for $1.35 of something I don't really want. Furthermore I need 2 new tires for Morty, as he's showing steel in one of them. So today I'll start shopping for the best tire prices. And like I said, there really aren't any good deals on the island. I think I'll wind up paying $130/tire. So I'll just buy one at a time.

Paul Murphy

There are only two good things that ever came from Texas, Dr. Pepper, and cheap landscaping.

4 Comments:

  • You know Paul, gas is $1.99 in North Augusta now.

    By Blogger DK, at 9/22/2006 8:18 AM  

  • I was going to argue about your Texas comment and say that Colby came from Texas, but he was actually born in Canada.

    By Blogger Luke Dockery, at 9/22/2006 11:33 AM  

  • Cheap is not a frame of mind, it's part religion, part birthright. Be proud. Plus, at least you're rent is pretty cheap.

    By Blogger Philip, at 9/22/2006 1:13 PM  

  • cheap landscaping.....are you sure that came from Texas again?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/24/2006 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home