Stories of a Moron

Thursday, March 12, 2009

You can hear it in their voice

One of the best parts of my job is how many people I get to interact with on a daily basis. Some people are jerks. Most people aren't. But my favorite people to see in the store are veterans.

Today I had a brief encounter with an older gentleman. I asked him if he wanted one of our turkey hunting fliers as he came through the door. He told me he didn't. He didn't ever want to kill anything again. And you could hear the pain in his voice.

I love it when I see an old man wearing a 82nd Airborne, Retired Navy, or Army Veteran hat. It makes me happy. I usually strike up a conversation and tell them that I like their hat/shirt/jacket. On occasion they'll check to see what I'm talking about, but most of the time they know. I assume because it means that much to them. I'll usually prod a little into some of the vagaries of their service. Most of the time we have a little conversation about their time in the military and I try to end it with thanking them and a handshake.

The conversations aren't always light and fluffy. Sometimes I strike up conversation and when I ask about their service time the tone of the conversation takes a turn. They'll get a look in their eye and have trouble keeping eye contact. Suddenly the tone and pitch of their voice will change and become nearly inaudible. You can tell that there are a lot of painful memories behind their sheepish demeanor.

Sometimes I forget the price that has been paid for our way of life, but they remind me. I don't care much for war, but I do care about the service men and women that have served and suffered for our country. If you see one of these guys walking around a store, I suggest you talk to them, and thank them too. It doesn't take much time but it always seems to mean a lot to them.

Paul "Not just a yellow ribbon magnet" Murphy

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home