Stories of a Moron

Sunday, February 04, 2007

A bad game

I like sports with suspense and excitement. I also like sports where effort can overcome my lack of skills. Frisbee was like that. I didn't have skills but I did have effort. Basketball isn't like that and golf really isn't like that. There is no effort what-so-ever in golf. If I run to my ball faster it doesn't make any difference. It is completely based off skill. Sports aren't based on skill they're based on effort and skill. And this is why golf isn't a sport. But yesterday it got exciting.

So I had a horrible game yesterday. I had more holes where I picked up my ball and walked away then I finished. But then it happened. We were on the 8th hole and I hit a slicing drive. It wound up in the other fairway. But I've been on fire with the 3 wood lately. 220yds away from the pin I could make the shot how I'd been hitting the tre' wood. As Philip and I walked over adjacent to where my ball was we hear a loud "Four!" Then Philip said heads-up just as a ball landed not a few yards from us. Before I could hit my ball I had to let the guys on that hole finish driving. So as we stood there we heard another "Four!" This time I took off running away from the other fairway. To my suprise the second golfer was worse and I ran up running toward his nasty slice that again hit a few yards from Phil and I. Everybody on that hole was finished teeing off and I needed to hit my miraculous shot to save par.

I lined up the tre' wood and went into my backswing. As I began to pull the alloy driver toward the ground I noticed that one more golfer on that hole was about to tee off. So I quickly went into full force and jacked the ball. Unfortunately I miss hit the ball and it jumped strait into the air off the ground. It went about six feet up and in my hurry to get out of Dodge I grabbed the ball out of the air and took off running just as the third golfer was teeing off. I didn't make my great shot. But I also didn't get hit in the junk with a golfball. So it was a good day

Paul "crackers" Murphy

3 Comments:

  • You joke about not getting your junk hit by a golf ball, but our minister got hit in the junk while on a tee box. Some older gentleman were teeing off on a par three and the green was about 50 yards from his tee box, but someone had a bad shot and it nailed him. It's really funny to hear him tell the story now.

    Sean

    PS - I'm ready to destroy the volleyball world this summer!

    By Blogger Sean Brown, at 2/06/2007 7:29 AM  

  • so you had a bad day. something or other that rhymes with day. sing a sad song just to turn it around. la di da da la. well, you know how the song goes. thanks for the comment on my blog; i'd be glad to sit amongst your 5th & 6th graders! :)

    By Blogger Paulo J, at 2/07/2007 2:12 PM  

  • Man, I feel your pain with golf. My dad played all the time and I tried over and over to take it up so I could play with him. But if I'm gonna just STINK SO BAD at something for four hours straight, I'll happily mess up 3 or 4 different activities instead of just the one.

    By Blogger Coach Sal, at 2/08/2007 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home