Stories of a Moron

Monday, January 29, 2007

Pure Genius

So today I continued the pig picking tradition that Sammer and I have going. Another happy family in Uganda should have a pig by next week. A pig that should feed their family for the next twenty years, or two weeks, I don't really know all the details.

So the genius part isn't about the pig but a flightless bird. A few years back it was my good friend Aaron Hasten's birthday and his wife was throwing a huge party. So I figured I should bring a present, but I didn' want to spend money. So I looked through the I-Wanta for anything free. I found exactly what I was looking for, three free emu's. Now I've had some experience with the birds before. In fact I had been stepped on by one before. Now that's another moron story for another time. So I decided I could use my emu wrangling skills to get one in a pickup then into Aaron's back yard. Great Idea.

So Josh and I get to the emu place around 8pm with a horrible plan; hogtie the bird and throw it in the back of the truck. Well about an hour later and me doing three Steve Irwin impersanations to a half-strangled bird it had become a dissaster. See, my idea was to snare the an emu. Josh got bored of the idea and worked on his own "rope and ride" theory. His went faster than mine and while I was staring at emu feet I saw a perfectly thrown lasso going toward an emu. Great shot! But then the emu freaked an took off. Josh freaked to and stood still. It was almost cartoonish watching the emu come to the end of its rope and getting "closelined." Anyway about an hour and a half later we gave up after loosing a pillow case to the bird. It was the second time in my life that I really had my heart set on something that my mom did not. The other was playing football in middleschool. I think she and God worked out some deals there.

Aaron never got a birthday present, and is probably thankful. But the next day I did get to meet his sister, but I don't think the pizza was the only part of the plan she didn't like.

Paul "I don't like pizza either" Murphy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home