Stories of a Moron

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Political Post of the Month

I don't have t.v. at my apartment. I have a t.v. set, but I don't subscribe to cable or have a digital antenna. This means my news outlets are very limited. I'm not really sure where the economy is, I don't have a clue on what President Obama is doing, and I'm not completely sure that being a pirate wouldn't be really cool.

Coach Salley and I were having a conversation in Lexington last Saturday after a PBC meeting. We started talking about abortion and it has had me thinking all week.

I think abortion is wrong. I think it's morally wrong to kill a human being; born or unborn. Incest, rape, whatever; it's still wrong.

I think homosexuality is wrong. I think it's morally wrong to have homosexual relations. I'm not a fan of "Gay Marriage."

Fortunately or unfortunately we live in a nation established under the pretenses of freedom. Freedom from tyrants, freedom from religious persecution, freedom from taxation without representation, freedom to say and do what you want without fear of an oppressive government getting into your business (as long as it's not hurting anyone else (Sir OWH Jr. "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins.")).

How do you balance morality with freedoms? You don't you go with morality every time. I'm not serious. I don't want to legally force anybody to be a Christian. I rather lovingly convince them of it. I do think abortion is a symptom of a community we haven't shown enough love to. The same probably goes for homosexuality. Maybe if more Christians were willing to take in other people's kids, then mothers wouldn't think their only option was a terminated pregnancy. Maybe if we showed God's love to kids that had been sexually abused, mistreated, and made fun of, we wouldn't have to have the conversation on gay marriage (That statement sounds really bad but I'm fairly sure I can justify it given more time).

I think its hypocritical to just try to vote things away and not take any action on the ground level. If you want to vote against abortion and gay marriage, get involved first in the lives of people.

But if we were just voting on things I have a solution. 28th Amendment. State selection. Each state should be able to choose whether they want gay marriage and abortion in their state. These two will not be subject to the Full faith and credit clause.

Paul "Nobody asked me anyways" Murphy

3 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Luke Dockery, at 4/28/2009 12:59 PM  

  • (1) I'm opposed to both of these issues, but I think it's wrong to equate one to the other (I'm not saying that's what you're doing though).

    You can argue that Gay Marriage sends a bad message, harms the institution of marriage, etc., but you can't really argue that it specifically harms another person outside of the people making the decision.

    Abortion is different though. When a person decides to have an abortion it specifically and intentionally harms (destroys) another life—that of the human fetus.

    If a human fetus is actually a human (and I believe it is), we now have a major problem. We generally call that problem murder, and most people don’t generally mind the government legislating morality when it comes to murder.

    (2) I’m right with you on not forcing people to be Christian, but I don’t think anti-abortion legislation does that.

    Sure, not killing other people is a Christian value, but it’s also a value of civilized people (of any religion) everywhere.

    The first version of this post had a confusing typo.

    By Blogger Luke Dockery, at 4/28/2009 1:05 PM  

  • This seems like a conversation that we had some time back, so I think you already know my opinions. However I still value your opinions whatever they may be.

    By Blogger Jeremiah Stoneburner, at 4/28/2009 5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home