Stories of a Moron

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Worst Date Ever

Aimee came into town this past Thursday and Friday. So Thursday afternoon I drove down to Michelle Stagg's house to pick her up for a night of fun and entertainment. Ok maybe not. I figured we'd be in Aiken and do something Aikeny like go to Hopeland Gardens, Hitchcock Woods, or see some horses.

I picked Aimee up around 4 ish and we took off. I gave her the options: Hopeland Gardens, Hitchcock Woods, or go shoot stuff at my parents land. Aimee went with shoot stuff. Excellent decision. So we drove to my parents house and picked up a few shotguns then off to Wal-Mart to pick up some shells.

After a few practice target shoots, I decided we should head down toward the swamp and walk through the woods to find some poor squirrel, stray snake, or anything that moved. Unfortunately the path Josh, Dad, and I cut a year and a half ago was a little overgrown. It made things interesting. Aimee and I both took a few briers to the legs and arms. And it was hot. And there was nothing to shoot at.

Then things got worse. Apparently I walked over a nest of yellow jackets. They weren't too happy with me so they came out and attacked me. So for the next minute Aimee and myself smacked ourselves trying to rid ourselves of the plague of yellow jackets. After everything was said and done I think Aimee took 3 and I took 10; almost beating my old record of 12. So we walked back out of the woods sweaty, scratched, and stung.

Not being too deterred, we went to the music in the park in North Augusta. It was pretty much a gray hair convention. Old band and old people dancing. Hilarious, and a little redemptive. Afterward I pulled out my cell phone and called Chris Thompson. I had begun noticing my lip swelling up.

By the time we got to Chris's house, I was full into an allergic reaction, my very first one. Chris hooked me up with some benadryl. Aimee went upstairs and picked out "The Karate Kid" to watch while Chris monitored my allergic reaction. After an hour I was good to go, and we went and ate at Ruby Tuesday.

Not exactly the end of the world but still the worst date I've managed to put together. Yellow jacket attack and allergic reaction. Oh and Dr. Barry was involved in there somewhere, but I'm still not sure what was going on at that time.

Paul "I didn't have to push start my car" Murphy

9 Comments:

  • hey, it's a good test for a new "friend" - if she still thought you were cute with your lip and whatever else got stung swelling up - you are definitely "IN" with Aimee.

    By Blogger renee, at 6/28/2008 5:15 PM  

  • are you sure your lip swelled up because of a bee sting?

    I think she might bite.

    By Blogger Josh M, at 6/28/2008 7:29 PM  

  • hm...Josh is so hilarious.

    By Blogger Aimée Nicholson, at 6/28/2008 7:47 PM  

  • 1. Please spell my name correctly if you mention me in your blog.

    2. Hearing Aimee's version of this is equally hilarious

    3. I couldn't be happier for you two.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6/30/2008 8:25 PM  

  • Paul Murphy, the Anit-Kim Pinkston
    Sean

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/01/2008 8:15 AM  

  • woo hoo Paul! She sounds like a keeper.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/02/2008 10:29 PM  

  • Dude, the fact that she chose to shoot stuff with you proves that she's a keeper. Hold on to this one: she's definitely Paul-Murphy-material.

    By Blogger Mr. Snyder, at 7/03/2008 1:40 PM  

  • OK. I'm forging your name and picking up your economic stimulus check today. I'll send it in the mail this week.

    Please use the funds wisely... (purchase some benadryl, a bee keeper suit, and/or a tickets to the movies.)

    I also would like to hear Aimee's version. I bet her story includes the terms, "dumb;" "idiot;" "alligator-infested;" and "cheap." At the least, I bet she never gets those kind of adventures in Nashvegas.

    By Blogger Philip, at 7/07/2008 2:37 PM  

  • i once ran out of gas on i 20 outside of thomson at, like, 4 in the morning coming back from atlanta on a first date. we broke up 2 months later. and to second what shaun wrote, the fact that she chose to shoot stuff means she's a keeper! just make sure to keep an extra can of gas in the back. ;)

    By Blogger Paulo J, at 8/05/2008 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home