Stories of a Moron

Monday, May 12, 2008

Stuff I don't like

1. People who don't blog regularly. Sorry loyal readership- the AS Dept of Ed has blocked blogger.com and the internet at the house has been down since April.

2. The song "Mansion Robe and Crown"
This one takes a little bit of explaining.
So I'm a little old for my age. At first it may not make since but I'm younger than most college graduate masters earning been working for two years people. I get stuck talking about it when people ask my age. I really don't like talking about it. I think people get the false impression I'm somewhat intellegent; which if you read the blog you know I'm not.

I've been thinking a lot about a recorded sermon I heard. The brilliant should continue to speak at church preacher talked about how life wasn't about checking off things on a list but in the journey. I use to think goals were what I wanted, and I worked at attaining those goals. But what do you do once you get there? I realized something profound. Getting somewhere isn't the point of life. If you just focus on that you'll mis out on everything. It's about the journey.

Back to MRC

I know "MRC" is loved by many in church-goers, but I'm not a big fan. Maybe its because of the low "guys" part that I can't sing very well. Or maybe I find its message a little weak.

You see according to the song Heaven's going to be great and all with all of this cool stuff. It'll be cool because I am there and I get a mansion, cool robe (hopefully with tassles), and a crown (not a fan; how bout a gamecocks hat, but not a normal size but giant "fergusson" size hat). And apparently heaven will be cool because I get stuff, like Christmas. It's like the reason for being a christian is heaven- one goal- get to heaven so I get live in paradise and live the easy life. That's why I don't like the song.

Life is about the journey. Christianity is about a relationship with God and continually building that relationship; not about heaven. Heaven's not going to be great because of a house and I'm there. Heaven's going to be amazing because the I AM, the creator of everything, the being who is love, the sultan of swat, the I AM who loves me is going to be there. That's all I need. Ok I threw in the sultan of swat, but I'm possitive God could crank one out of SBC park into sea, the Sea of Tranquility (pushes up nerd glasses).

In short MRC- petty and I don't think I'll sing it anymore, Heaven's not going to be good b/c of a nice house and bath garment. They seem pretty crappy compared to the creator of all good.

Paul " times up " mUrphy

4 Comments:

  • I totally agree with you about MRC. "Mansion Over the Hilltop" is even worse! What TERRIBLE theology!

    One of the most heartbreaking moments I've ever had in church was in an adult class where the teacher asked, "What is the goal of every Christian?" Without pause, and I believe without dissent, the answer was, "To get to heaven." I cringed, and cried a little bit inside. I fully believe the goal of every Christian is to be formed in the image of Christ. I believe heaven to be the reward, not the goal.

    Are you going to be at SuperWeek?

    By Blogger MichaelPolutta, at 5/12/2008 8:08 AM  

  • I appreciate your thoughts.

    To me, it's a maturity thing.

    I think back to when I was a kid. My parents had certain expectations of me, and certain rules they wanted me to follow.

    At first, my motivations for following those rules were usually either fear of punishment, or hope of reward.

    Of course, I loved my parents, and as I got older, at some point that love manifested itself in a desire to behave in such a way as to make them proud of me.

    I think there are a lot of spiritual parallels there:
    The fear of punishment (hell), and the hope of reward (heaven) are still motivating factors for me, but are no longer the primary motivation.

    Because I love Jesus, I want to be like Him as much as possible, grow closer to Him, and (for lack of a better phrase) make Him proud of me by how I live.

    By Blogger Luke Dockery, at 5/12/2008 12:02 PM  

  • hmmm. then, when we get to heaven, can I have your mansion, robe and crown?

    wait. nix that. keep your robe. I'm not sure what you're heavenly body will look like, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to get flashed.

    I think you automatically dislike any song that is sung more than three times in a row. I bet you were a joy for your VBS teachers.

    By Blogger Philip, at 5/13/2008 7:40 PM  

  • I totally agree. I've always hated that song. We used to make up new words to the song along the lines of "jesus, please give me stuff..." (okay so probably not appropriate for chapel, but I still don't like the song. It's shallow and turns God into Santa and heaven into Christmas morning and misses the point. Dr.Fortner (yikes I'm quoting Fortner) once said in class that "Saying heaven is the goal of being a Christian is like saying the goal in a race is the trophy table." It just doesn't quite work like that.

    I also refuse to sing the song, "Jesus is coming soon", because of the part where we sing in this happy, upbeat way about how "many will meet their doom". The song just makes me angry. If we're going to sing songs like that we should certainly be mourning for those who will be lost and honestly instead of singing songs about how people are going to hell, maybe we should be working on keeping them from going.

    By Blogger MSS, at 5/14/2008 8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home