Stories of a Moron

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Unsafe at any speed: Huffy the bike that kills

Ok so it almost happened today; twice. So I decided to ride to Pago to mail some stuff. Sorry mom, you didn't get anything, or Josh, or Kevin. Nevermind I didn't mail anything....

The bike ride started off fun wisping down the hill of death. Then onto the second main road. I ducked in behind two trucks- less wind = easier speed. So as I was drafting at 25mph (5 over the speed limit) a truck wizzed by me and cut in front of me just to be slowed down by the other two vehicles. I kept up my speed and looked for an opportunity to pass the truck back : p, and stick my tounge out. I didn't get it on the straigt away, oncoming traffic and all. So I finally got my chance to pass a car up by the giant speed bump, next to the 7th Day church. The trucks slowed down, but my 3'11" wheel base allows me to fly over the bump. So I passed them on the right.

That's when the 1st truck started turning left into the parking lot, directly in front of me. So I hit the breaks. No real breaking power there. So I sped up in hopes of getting around the car quickly and only recieving a glancing blow instead of head on comedic impact that would have hurt a lot and required stitches. Luckily I BARELY got around the front of the vehicle, my tire missing the last corner of the bumper by 4in or less.

Then coming back from the post office I was cruising down the ocean side highway. I decided to kick it into high gear. My bike has a tendency to slip when I torque the gears hard. Its not a problem b/c I only reall crank on the crank going slow up hills. The gears slip; my feet slip, then I stop.

So I started speeding up to 25mph+ I was cranking the peddles hard. And that's when the gears slipped and my bike tried to kill me again. My feet flew off the peddles and my leaning forward pose made me slam down on the bar. All guys have had the experience if they ride a bike long enough. So then I'm flying down the road, looking like an idiot not being able to get back up off the bars, b/c my balance is off and I can't get my feet on the peddles. So I slowly came to a stop and regained my gusto.

Paul "Its probably possessed" Murphy

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home