Stories of a Moron

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

New Title

The old one was kind of harsh. I'll call it

Carl's Junior Affect

On island we now have a cool new Carl's Junior. Apparently they call Hardee's that on the West coast. I've really enjoyed the new CJ's. Good burgers and fries and free refills, which is unique on island.

Unfortunately CJ's isn't all good. I've been given a new option in the dining out world, but there are some unwanted consequences. Like maybe if I wasn't spending time swimming around in the ocean I might get fat. Even though CJ's is a good thing, it may have a unwanted consequence.

Society has changed a lot in the last 200 years. I blame Victorian erra social outcomes for some of it and the Second Industrial Revolution for the rest.

Factory work gave women a place outside the home to go and make a living. By the time World War II came women were needed in the workplace. They threw off the traditional role of homemaker and went into the workforce. The movement continued into the 70's where equality became the huge issue. Just like Carl's Junior on island I think equality in the workplace is fantastic. But it may have lead to an unforseen change.

The basic social contract. For thousands of years there was a unstated social contract between men and women. A man and a woman would get married. The man was responsible for working the fields and other labor intensive jobs. Women would labor at home. Each job as valuable as the next. And men didn't leave their wives because there was often no hope for a husbandless wife, except that. Conversly wives didn't leave their husbands, their survival sometimes depended on it.

Problems came up when a woman's husband would die if they didn't have any family to take care of them. Elisha found a woman about to starve to death because she didn't have anyone to help here and she had no field to work in even if she could. Women didn't work outside the house, but it should be noted the Proverbs points to a strong house managing woman.

So for years you had this unwritten contract. Husband and Wife. The demands of nature seemed to demand a team.

But something changed in the late 1800's. Women could find work. Factories needed labor. Suddenly the old social contract no longer stuck. Women could leave their husband's without fear of starvation. Divorce rates began to rise slowly. Also husbands could now leave their wives, the wife could survive on her own.

By the time the 70's came around and the women's working revolution divorce rates went through the roof. In fact they had doubled since 1950 (2.6%) to 1979 (5.3%). Something good indirectly led to something not so great. Just like Carl's Junior.

The century old social contract was altered.

Tomorrow the Carl's Junior Affect II

Paul "its back below 4%" Murphy

5 Comments:

  • I like the point that you have to go straight to the root of the problem to truly solve it as you brought up in the modesty post. I noticed you didn’t apply the same logic here.

    Problem 1: Men’s impure thoughts
    Option A: Ensure women are modest so guys can’t lust (ha!)
    Option B: Focus on the problem, guys’ thoughts

    Problem 2: Failed Marriages
    Option A: Ensure women cannot support themselves so couples can’t get divorced
    Option B: Focus on the real problem, bad marriages

    And on the topic of modesty… Yes, it drove me crazy when they told us at Harding, that it is somehow always OUR fault if a guy lusts, because they just can’t help it. And yet, I have had several guys tell me that they appreciate the modest way I dress (jeans and t-shirts). And so I can’t write-off that it does have an impact on guys- either positive or negative, and that’s something girls need to be thinking about. But what if modesty is not just about guys, it’s also about us. It’s not just about guarding their hearts, but also ours. It’s an issue of self-respect. Do I have enough self-esteem that I can value who I am without needing to draw men’s eyes in order to know that I have worth and true beauty? Do I respect myself enough to not put my body on display for men? Modesty is about more than trying to help guys have purer thoughts, although they need all the help they can get. It’s about keeping the focus on the inside and what’s really important instead of trying to compensate for what’s not there by drawing attention to the outside.

    Sorry Paul, bbp Fridays aren’t coming back.

    Mandi “Our eyes are up here” P.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/07/2008 11:51 AM  

  • 1. I agree completely with the modesty thing, but I ran out of what I thought the attention span of readers would be. I think its fantatstic when women don't put their bodies on display, or really when they do. That way I know to stay away.

    2. Failed marriages were a result of a change. I don't want Carl's Junior to leave again, I should come up with a solution like only eat there twice a week. The same with Marriage.

    3. They took the one thing I could count on in chapel every friday. I'm still bitter.

    By Blogger Paul Murphy, at 2/07/2008 4:49 PM  

  • Are you saying divorce rates are below 4% now? As in, out of every 100 marriages, less than four end in divorce? That seems way too low, but maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

    I like the industrial revolution/divorce connection. I hadn't thought about it before.

    By Blogger Luke Dockery, at 2/08/2008 12:22 PM  

  • 4% per year I think is the correct interpretation. But that doesn't sound right either. 4% of married people. I didn't read the chart real well the correlation was kinda just there.

    By Blogger Paul Murphy, at 2/08/2008 1:52 PM  

  • I guess I better tell Jaime to start wearing some clothes around the house on Nude Wednesdays.

    By Blogger Philip, at 2/08/2008 2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home